Cheryl, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

This is directed to those who live one half block perpendicularly away from the Judah Streetcar. How loud is the streetcar from your house?

Asked by Cheryl, San Francisco, CA Wed Mar 28, 2012

Answers

4
Angela’s answer
We are new to the city and not used to all of the noises. We live on 35th 1/2 block from the Judah N-line. We can hear it, but it's a decently faint noise from inside our house. The sound of it sounds like an air-conditioning turned on in our house (there is no A/C here so I know it's the train!) and is not a disturbance to us. That said, I told my husband I would worry about the noise and the shaking if we were to live any closer to the train.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 26, 2012
Hi Cheryl,

I previously lived on 8th Ave about 1/4 block from the N-Judah. I could not hear the wheels squeak in my house but in the lower lever you could sense the rumble as it went around the corner at 9th & Irving sometimes.
My wife grew up on 35th, a half block up and says you get used to it. Her parents still live there and both seem rested. When I'm there I don't hear it or feel it. The old cars in the 80's were worse I understand.
I lived up on Mt.Davidson and could hear the BART trains going from Balboa station to Daly City. Sitting in my backyard I could hear the freeway.
Fact is this is a City and there's noise. I had a client that noise was a problem for. He lives in Berkeley now, high in the hills.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Living on the MUNI line can always more off-putting than it really is. If you can get used to it, you'll be ahead of the curve because some folks may not even consider living near a MUNI line. From 11th and Kirkham, a block up from Judah, I can hear the N-Judah MUNI only if I listen for it with windows open or if it's the still of the night where it's otherwise quiet. The whir from UCSF air conditioners are more prevalent. Anyway, the N sounds like a woosh of air and, rarely, I may hear the car turn from Judah onto 9th, but that's rare.

Keep in mind they've been installing and replacing the rails themselves and I know it's much quieter than living two to three blocks away from a BART line. And last, I had a client who was interested in a home listed on Frederick Street where the backyard of the building was directly next to the line as it goes in and out of the tunnel over to the Duboce side of the hill. Surprisingly, it wasn't too loud nor was there any vibration when the car passed. Most people say they get used to it anyway. Hope that helps.