In My Neighborhood in 31410>Question Details

Tami, Other/Just Looking in Rocky Point, NY

Thinking of moving to Wilmington Island. What communities are nice? Wilimington Park, Betz Creek? Thanks

Asked by Tami, Rocky Point, NY Thu Oct 13, 2011

Answers

8
There ae many nice communities on Wilmington and surrounding Islands. A great community for you depends on what you are seeking. Some are smaller with one street such as Penn Station. Wilmington Park is larger, older and established. It also has the option of joining the association for tennis, swimming pool, and it does have dock access to the water. Betz Creek in contrast has homes closer together and many culdesacs. When visiting each neighborhood you will see the vitality of each. All the communities here are close to shopping, 3 grocery stores, dining, and distance wwise it's 10 minutes to the beach, 15 minutes to downtown, 30 minutes to the airport, 20 minutes to hospitals. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have. I've lived on Wilmington Island for over 20 years.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
Here's a way to find the nicest neighborhoods on Wilmington by using Mapquest. Look at the neighborhoods from Johnny Mercer and Walthour Road and especially Walthour Road and Oemler Loop. Oemler Loop is a pretty enclave alongside the marshes. Some of these homes even have views of Tybee Island and Wassaw Sound. The great thing is if you want to be close to the beach at Tybee, you're only 5-6 miles from these neighborhoods. And they are close to schools like May Howard, St. Peter the Apostle, and St. Andrews which are elementary Jr High and high school. They are also close to the stores. Because there are no gated communities with fees, you have no HOAs to add to your monthly bills and the area is very safe and nice for families.
I lived on Wilmington in Wilmington Park for 27 years now on Whitemarsh. If you are in a higher price point you might take a look at Long Point or some of the great town homes available on the Islands. We are near the Beach and Historic Savannah. Couldn't think of a better place to live other than maybe the Landings if the drive to the beach or down town is not an issue.
Be aware of not only flood insurance needed in most areas of Chatham County but some areas may have septic tanks that your agent should check out.
Wilmington Island is one of the most sought after areas in Chatham County due to it great family atmosphere. It has a wide range of homes, townhomes and condo with prices for everyones budget. It has a great public schools from Kindergarten to Highschool. All types of shopping, restaurants, banking, Medical Offices, Urgent Care and the YMCA is the best in the Savannah Area. It is convenient to the beach, marinas, downtown, and the Truman Parkway. There are so many good communities on Wilmington Island. I would need to know what you are looking for such as: 1. Price Range 2. Bedrooms and Baths, etc. 3. Do you have children. Please email me at hmr1@aol.com with some more information and I will be able to give you a better advise.
Wilmington Island is very nice. There are other communities nearby that you should look at as well. Talahi Island, Whitemarsh Island are nice and are in the same geographic area. Prices for single family homes range from $125,000 to over $1,000,000 depending on location. Check out our website at RealEstateSavannah.com. We have lived on the island for 15 years and are experts in this area.

Good Luck and call if we can be of assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate your time.
Hi Tami

Wilmington Park is older, but a nice safe area. Betz Creek is also a nice area, but there have been some flooding issues in the yards with homes closer to the creek at peak tides. If schools are important, Wilmington Island is very good for public schools. If you would like a list of homes for sale in that area, please let me know. I would love to help you.

David
Consider taking the time and visiting the areas of interest more than once, then determine the area that best suits your financials, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another.....