Marilyn, Other/Just Looking in 23322

The home prices in the 19th Ward seem so reasonable. Is there a GOOD reason not to live in that area?

Asked by Marilyn, 23322 Tue Dec 29, 2009

Answers

3
I've been renting in the 19th Ward for about 4 1/2 years, saving money to purchase a home in the area. Parts of the neighborhood have gone down tremendously due to the economy, slum, out of site investors, property managers who don't maintain the properties, bad tenants, crime and violence (gangs), etc. If I didn't keep up the property I'm renting, or stay on the property management company's case, I would be SOOL. This Spring alone has me second guessing about purchasing a home in the 19th Ward. I've seen an increase in rowdiness, gangs, people cutting through backyards, etc. I'm blessed to have a cirlcle of nosy neighbors (home owners..some retired) who are always looking out. We've got eachother's backs day and night. If the 19th Ward doesn't do a swift turn around, the rest of it's beauty and peace will be destroyed. There are too many multi-dwellings being occupied by disrespecful people.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 15, 2012
We have a fixer-upper for sale in the 19th Ward that basically needs cosmetic updates. Structure is sound, roof is 1.5 yrs old (complete tear-off), Hot Water Heater/Furnace only 1 yr old, beautiful original gumwood doors/trim, hardwoods throughout, mostly newer vinyl windows, 3bd/1bath with 2nd functioning toilet in the basement (just needs walls!).
Full dry basement, front porch, fenced in yard, 1 car detached garage and a completely finished attic for extra living space.
Assessed at over $63k, we are selling it for a cash price of only $47k!!! Call us at 1-855-JOE-BUYS for all the details.
Marilyn,
As Chairperson of the RCF-Realtors Charitable Foundation, I am very involved with NeighborWorks! They are currently doing a third spot neighborhood that is located in the 19th ward! Just to give a little background, NW's first neighborhood was Swillberg...the second is in their 3rd year of the North Winton area called "the pocket". Swillberg values increased tremendously and the same is proving for The Pocket, so I can only see the same in the 19th ward area!! Prices have held true for the 22+ years that I have been in business and there are alot of doubles that are bought by investors for U of R students, and RIT students too! Also because NW's is involved there are very low interest loans for upgrading and enhancing..driveways, paint, windows, etc... Sometimes there is group purchasing also that will help keep prices even lower! The only drawback that I can think of would be the planes...but depending on time of year and the pattern!