In My Neighborhood in Mokena>Question Details

Sherrie, Both Buyer and Seller in Mokena, IL

Should I switch agents? Our townhome in Mokena has been on the market almost 2 years. Comparible in price, very nice and next to the train, what gives

Asked by Sherrie, Mokena, IL Tue Mar 13, 2012

I asked our agent if she is seeing an upswing in homes sales in her office. She informed me yes because of the great mortgage rates but not on townhomes or condo's due to the association fees and taxes. I think within those two years we have only had a handful of showings which is crazy low!! Should she be doing more as an agent or is this as good as it gets?

Answers

5
I'm not going to advise you to switch agents because 1) It violates our code of ethics and 2) I don't know all of the particulars of your situation. I would recommend you check out your listing on Realtor.com and see what kinds of pictures are uploaded and how the description reads. Realtor.com gets it's feed from the MLS, although listings on Realtor.com can be enhanced further. Talk to your agent about what can be done to market the property to get it sold. Has she done any open houses? Is she telling you that you are priced too high? (If you are priced too high, it's pretty hard to blame your agent).

In the end, if you decide you are not satisfied with your agent, you should consider calling up other agents to hear what they have to offer.
Web Reference: http://www.ablerealty.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 13, 2012
That is a difficult question to answer. It is hard to hear, but if you are not getting showings or offers on any property, there are a few reasons:

You are not priced right to attract the market or for the price you are asking too much work or updating is needed to the home. If you are not getting showings, usually it is a price issue (could also mean price considering the taxes and association fees). If you are getting showings and not offers, usually it is a matter of the condition of the home. Seems simple, but it is very complicated in today's market.

Also FHA financing plays a big part in the sales of townhomes and condos. But keep this in mind, if the price of taxes and fees are too high, buyers can buy more of a home for the same monthly payment. You can't control the taxes or the fees. The only thing you can control is the price or the appeal of the home.

But keep this in mind too. As a buyer on your next property, you want the best price, but are you considering that as a seller. If you give a little on your townhome, can you take advantage of that savings as a buyer. With the interest rates now, run the numbers, you may find you come out much better on the buying end if you do not wait.

Suzanne Hamilton
RE Marketing Consultants, Inc.
888-788-9544
suzanne@remarketingconsultants.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 13, 2012
You're kidding. What took you so long to decide to change realtors However it might not be the realtor. Are you listening to their suggestions. Also, is your home in the 'for sale" mode. No personal pics on the walls, bare essentials as not to look overcrowded, patched little holes and/or needed repairs. Does it have curb appeal? Don't forget you're selling to someone that wants to see neutral colors in the rooms, updated kitchen and bath as much as you can. Clean carpets or laminate hard wood floors. You're trying to sell not keep it looking the way you did while you've live in it. Hope this helps.
Greetins Sherrie,

Good answer Anthony and others.

Here's a suggestion, ask you agent to pretend you are a buyer looking for a town-home such as yours, price, size, etc. And have her take you to see those. Pretend you are a buyer - be objective as possible. If it is possible to see what is pending as well ask to see those. Then have her pull up the recent sales and closings. Have a full agent printout of the MLS of your listing. After your tour the two of you can discuss how your town-home compares to the market and decide what is the next best step.

Your agent has been with you for two years. She isn't motivated to not sell it. So ask her to be honest with you. The be ready to listen.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Sometimes a change is good and sometimes the results are about the same. It would be up to you Sherrie to try a different approach. I can tell you what I would do but that would be up to you to call me. 708-334-2465. Here to help if I can.