In My Neighborhood in 95682>Question Details

RL, Other/Just Looking in Vacaville, CA

Retiring at 66 and looking for quiet stable area. Love the 'country' feel of Cameron Park, CA. Any senior advantages in this area?

Asked by RL, Vacaville, CA Fri Feb 24, 2012

? Any known problems in this area: wildlife, severe temperatures, crime? We prefer to live away from suburbia, etc.

Answers

9
Cameron Park is a wonderful area. As far as senior advantages. You have Cameron Park Country Club that has golf and other activities. The private airport has many retired pilots and is very unique with hangers attached to houses. Cameron Park Lake is a great place to take a stroll and watch the turtles, geese and ocassionally beaver or musrat. They also have a community center that has senoir activities. I think it is a great place to retire.

Brenda Clementson
We hope this will be of help:
VIDEO Tour of El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, and Shingle Springs, California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9_39dTggU

Current news is also available on our website. Thanks, Doug & Bud Zeller
It will get warm in Cameron Park but usually about 5 degrees cooler then Sacramento in the summer, usually above the fog in the winter though, it's a comfortable climate. Not much of a crime problem, it is a safe community. Deer would be the main problem...to your landscaping but they prefer being more rural. In 22 years here I've seen 1 rattlesnake and I live more in the woods then Cameron Park, mountain lions or anything like that would be a rare, rare, rare occurance in Cameron Park. This website may help with activities, http://cameronpark.org/index.html

Let me know if I can help you.
Web Reference: http://mlseldorado.com
Big OOP's! Forgot to leave you my contact info. It's onthelevel@cox.net; 760 815-6977
If you have some flexability on where you want to retire you may want to explore North San Diego County. There are some very wide open areas there but yet not so isolated that you don't have everyday conveniences close at hand i.e. medical, shopping, dining, entertainment, leisure activieties and sports, etc.

If you should ever want to wonder down our way from a very active 66 year old myself I'd be more than happy to show you around. We have a tremendous inventory of great values we'd love to share with you. Please feel free to check out our websites. We're a family owned and operated RE brokerage, general contractor/rehab and remodel or new build specialist and interior design firm all under one roof and run by one company.

http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
Yes!! Prop 90

El Dorado County to Implement Inter-County Transfers of Seniors' Proposition 13 Base-Year Values

El Dorado County supervisors, in a unanimous vote December 15, approved implementation of the county-option program allowing qualified seniors and disabled homeowners to transfer Proposition 13 base-year values from other counties (Propositions 90 and 110). Effective February 15, people who are over 55 or are disabled and who move to El Dorado County and purchase a home of comparable value (or less) to their old home can bring their former base-year value as their assessed value on the new home.

County officials see the program as an economic stimulus program. It should stimulate the real estate market in the county, as no other rural county offers this incentive. Supervisor John Knight said, "I'm looking at moving unsold (housing) inventory and having people spend money in El Dorado County." Opposition to the plan came from public employee groups that said there will be a loss of revenue. (Cal-Tax: The opposition claim is predicated on the notion seniors will move to the county even without the incentive.)
Slightly less than an hour outside of Sacramento, many people do commute from Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville and other west El Dorado county towns into the big city on a daily basis. As for wildlife, there would be the occasional rattlesnake. A person could live a full life up there and never see one, but you should still know what to look for and what to listen for when out on a hike or working in the yard. Also keep an eye on your pets.
Mountain Lion (Bobcat) and Bears make rare appearances. Good to avoid those critters too. The most dangerous wildlife of all, the biggest killer of humans across the United States is .....deer! Yes, deer. Drive carefully at twilight and dawn, late at night, or, well, all the time. Those things will dart out in front of your car before you can say "oh, dear!"
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Cameron Park is a great community. Once you get up in the foothills, the temperature is usually a few degrees cooler than Sacramento and you usually have a little bit more space to breathe. In addition to Cameron Park I'd recommend checking into Rescue, Shingle Springs, Placerville, and other nearby areas.

You should also check out the Greenstone community in Placerville. It's on the west side of Placerville so it almost feels like Shingle Springs, and it has a small HOA, but the neighbors are great and the community is friendly. The properties have a few acres and some have stables for horses or other animals. Turkeys and deer wander the area. My parents moved up there a year ago and love the friendly people and great sense of community. They quickly made friends with the neighbors and were invited to dinners and bunco parties. :) This area - Cameron Park as well - is usually above the fog and below the snow, but you may get snow once in a blue moon.

For crime statistics, I'd check official crime websites like the county of El Dorado or specific city websites.

If you're transferring to the area and need a guide, please feel free to contact me - I'd love to help you with your home search. Best of luck! You'll be happy here!

Lauren Schenke, Realtor
Better Homes Realty
I was raised in Cameron Park.we have a true 4 seasons. Crime is minimal and almost always above the fog line. There is a private country club/golf course. It has tbat small town feeling yet close to Sacramento. Let me know if you have any questions. Would love to help you.