In My Neighborhood in 89704>Question Details

Jim, Home Buyer in Ely, NV

People have moved from this area because of the extreme wind. Is this house located in that area?

Asked by Jim, Ely, NV Wed Mar 17, 2010

I have lived here over a year now and the idea of "extreme" wind is way over rated. Rarely do the winds sustain at 15 mph and perhaps twice a year gust above 30. I played golf in 20 mph sustained gusting to 30 one day. that is windy for golf but indicates that you can easily move about in the highest winds up here.
I understand it is more windy on the west side of Washoe Valley but I have no evidence of that myself. They do restrict vans, busses and large trucks on the north south arteries of 395 and 580 at times but I would estimate that this occurs less than 10 times a year.
I was considering a windmill for electrical generation but I just don't think the wind justifies it. If the winds are high they are high for only 18 hours or so and then subside for weeks. Like anything else to do with weather it is cyclical but tho even I was warned about it before I moved here I consider it a non factor and rarely will even prohibit you working in your yard.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 1, 2014
The greater Carson City/Reno areas are rated as having one of the cleanest air qualities in the United States. That should be a good thing, right? The wind moves out the polution. I have lived here since 1998 and don't feel that he wind is excessive. Other areas of the country have tornado's and we don't . Hurricanes, we don't. Hard winters, we don't.
I you would like more information on our area please contact me or call 775-721-4893