In My Neighborhood in 92065>Question Details

Diedrecharlie, Home Buyer in Ramona, CA

Ok, so is Ramona a good place to retire, like the west end or not?

Asked by Diedrecharlie, Ramona, CA Fri Feb 3, 2012

Answers

6
Ramona is a wonderful place to retire; or to raise kids long before retirement! My wife and I are in the over 50 range, and what we appreciate about Ramona is the feel of a "village". People here are very friendly and businesses are quick to refer people to other local businesses here as we call it "Up the hill". The area is surrounded by mountains and views abound, the hillsides are covered with oak trees, vineyards and tasting rooms. It has a feel of the Napa/Sonoma area. Living in a tranquil small town, and we can easily get to San Diego for entertainment; air travel or the bay. Good restaurants are here in Ramona, good grocery stores and many other services. Most of all, GOOD PEOPLE live here in Ramona California.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
Ramona is a lifestyle. It is relaxed. Blue jeans, no ties. Neighbors are concerned for each other. Most people know something about tractors or horses, or know somebody that does. It is easy to be involved in the community, and a lot of fun. The chamber mixers are a bunch of friends getting together. Most kids can be in the parades down Main Street at some point because Mom or Dad is involved in something. Most everyone has an opinion on which roads need fix'in and which ones don't. Ramona has values. We expect to stand and pledge allegiance to our flag and have a prayer at any function. I can honestly say in 22 years traffic has not been a consideration in my life. The community service clubs are active and getting some good things done. The Rotary sponsored 4th of July fireworks event has become a major gathering after 18 years. Kiwanis and Rotary put on the MusicFest event that has become a gathering. My kids frequently say (like tonight) that they have a friend at school that knows who I am. It is very much a traditional American small town like that. Lots of churches have extended families that weave into the fabric of our town.
So, will Ramona be a good place to retire? I'm looking forward to it.
http://www.RamonaRE.com for more information, and home sales. Ramona homes are a bargain right now.
Flag Wed Apr 10, 2013
Can't argue with the locals. If it's truly Ramona you desire I'd say look Jim up. Sounds like he's got a handle on it.
I don't live in Ramona. I live in Encinitas and Vista but I've worked in Ramona for years. It's a semi rural to rural area depending on where you choose to live. It's a beautiful, close knit community with lot's of things to do. However, if you're the type of person that likes a little night life I'd think long and hard about Ramona as the streets roll up pretty early in the evening.

As Sharon stated Ramona does indeed heat up in the summer and it tends to get pretty chilly in the winter. But if you like that type of climate and you're comfortable in a pretty laid back and quiet lifestye and can see yourself living out your life like that Ramona is a great place to do it.

But if you like a little more action and diversity there are many other wonderful places in beautiful San Diego County you may want to consider. North Escondido, Fallbrook, Bonsall, North East Vista and San Marcos just to mention a few.

All these cities have areas both within their respective city limits and in their County sphere of influence that are qute semi rural to rural but they are a little closer to the mainstream which is particularly important to aging seniors.

I've lived in the Buena Creek area of vista as an example for 30 years and I have to say that it is one of the most beautiful areas in the World let alone San Diego. My wife, Janis and I have done a considerable amount of globetrotting to some very exotic places and everytime we come back to our home it's like taking another vactation to a very beautiful place.

The one thing that Vista has that not too many places in the rest of the county have is a" mini or micro climate" that we proudly call our "Banana Belt" . Check out this link: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cavist+sca
Our home is situated on a flat one acre hilltop about 850 feet above sea level and has a dramatic panaramic ocean view with beautifil San Clemente and Catalina Island Sunsets. Our little neighborhood is only 6 air miles away from the coast and about 11 miles drive by car.

Presently there are several homes in our very intimate and close knit 1 acre minimum community on the market. The good news is that with the hit this neighborhood took since 2007 there are some real affordable values: http://www.zillow.com/local-info/CA-92084-home-value/r_96634/.

Just wanted you offer you up some other offers in case you weren't that previed to all the wonderful choices available in beautiful North San Diego County.

FYI: We specialize in distressed property acquisition, rehab, remodel and/or rebuild resales. We're a one-stop, turnkey family owned general contractor and Real Estate Broker. We offer an all encompased solution to any of your housing needs including architectural, engineering, landscaping and interior design. Take a few moments to check out our websites and please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions you may have about San Diego Real Estate:

http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
Ramona is a great place to retire if you like country atmosphere. It gets pretty hot in the summer however, just about a 45 minute drive to the beach and a half hour drive to San Diego. There are some great buys in Ramona and one can aquire some very nice land. The community has some nice folks living there and most people I know that live there are very happy. What exactly are you lookiong for and I might be able to help you.
Sharon
Diedrecharlie,

That is a very subjective question and more a matter of preference. What do you plan to do in retirement? (Hobbies, Travel etc...) What climate do you prefer? How much land/home do you want to maintain, what is your budget? How far is your commute from family? Is proximity to a Hospital important to you? Does Ramona meet your needs? Have you lived there before or visited? Do you have friends there? Do you have pets? Do you plan on staying there a long time? Ramona is awesome for some, and not so much for others. All things to consider.

Kind Regards,
Marcie Sands, REALTOR
SImply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1252.