Question Details

Odbhut, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Neighbors complain about leaves falling into their side from some trees in my backyard. I periodically trim the tree branches on their side.Pls advice

Asked by Odbhut, San Jose, CA Sun Oct 9, 2011

I live in a townhome community and have a few trees in the backyard adjacent to the fence with the neighbor(not sharing wall). Neighbor complains that leaves fall from those trees into their backyard. What's the general law regarding this? What I understand is that it is an act of nature and as long as the branches are trimmed down so that it does not overflow to the neighbor's side it should be fine. Please advice.

Answers

6
Leaves are understood to be a part of nature...much the same as rain, snow, wind, etc. For someone to be complaining about leaves falling on their property......well, they likely have too much time on their hands.

As a good neighbor, it's important to listen and be understanding but as a reasonable & sane person it's likely best to not take this too seriously........your next issue could be as rediculous as insects migrating from your property or the aroma from your kitchen....some people should just, get real!

im trying to find out too our trees or avocado trees lost a lot during last storm it isn't unusual this is three blocks away does she want me to rake her yard needs someone to talk to or just being nosy
trees are NOT important around your home and cause more harm than good. Take care of your property before you get sued for destroying my property and littering in my property. My lawyer is more hungry than yours! Just like your kids, if you can't take care of them, don't have them!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
My yard is covered with leaves from my redneck neighbor that it a "naturalist" I spend hundreds of dollars a year in nutrients and yard care to strengthen my lawn yet his property falls on my lawn and kills my grass. I have no trees and have to clean up my yard twice a week from 26 of his trees. How can I be a bad neighbor for putting his crap back in his own yard? I try to have presentable property and I do not feel like I have to spend $100.00 every 3 months to put his tree trash away. if you can't take care of your trees and the by product of them, don't plant them. Parents are held responsible for their mistakes when their kids destroy property so what not hold them responsible?
Hi Oldbhut,
check your subdivisions Association by-laws you must have received when you first bought your townhouse...
I am pretty sure there is something about maintaining YOUR property, but I cannot believe that the wind blowing leaves from your property over to theirs should be something you need to take care of....
What if leaves from the street blow onto someones private front yard, would they be calling the village?
Could the leaves at certain times in the fall, bother your neighbors, sure why not, just be kind and just
say that the leaves will be off soon, and you have no influence on which way the wind blows....

Just make sure you do stay GOOD neighbors....

I have trees on my property and they blow over to my neighbor, and the leaves of another neighbor
blow over to my yard...... it's called NATURE AND TREES ARE EVERY SO IMPORTANT..... :)

Take care!
Edith YourRealtor4Life! Your Chicago and Northern Illinois Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients~!
Sounds like your neighbors don't quite grasp the concept of close quarter townhome living. With regard to leaves falling on their yard, there no ordinance about it. As long as your tree isn't damaging their property, like knocking over walls or lifting foundations, you don't necessarily have to trim your tree back aggressively. If your neighbor doesn't like tree branches that cross onto his property line, he can trim them. If there's anything in your HOA bylaws, your neighbor would have likely made a complaint to your HOA committee.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011