Jim, Other/Just Looking in Tinton Falls, NJ

Need some Advice.

Asked by Jim, Tinton Falls, NJ Fri Aug 21, 2009

Oh boy, here I go. We live on Harvest Lane, off of Sycamore Ave in Tinton Falls, and a couple of weeks agoone of the neighbors put their house up for sale roughly 140-145,000 less than what houses sold for 2 years ago. Obviously this bothers us as we plan on selling our house in 5 years or so when I retire. My question to you is what type of affect will this pending sale have on prices in the neighborhood going forward?
I met the couple who are putting a contract on the house this weekend and I was biting my tongue when they were telling us about how happy they were to find a home at such a great price.
I know things can change in 5 years but thought i would ask the experts anyway.

Answers

2
Jim,
For all we know the market could double in the next 5 years, I would not worry about it. If you were trying to sell next weeK, then I would worry, but how much was the same house you are worried about sell for 5 years ago? I bet for much less!

Jim, Tinton Falls is not my market so take my advice with that in mind, but frankly, nobody can predict what is going to happen in 5 years.
Right now, I think one of the most important things to consider is how long you have been in your home. Have you been in your home only 2 years? Then that could be a problem for you, even 5 years down the line.
If you've been in your home 10 years or more, then you may come out on top, but perhaps still not what you were hoping.
I realize that I probably didn't help you one bit and for that I apologize. There are simply too many variables that can change in 5 years to predict accurately how this is going to turn out.
I would suggest starting to look at your home with a critical eye and investing wisely in any improvements that might increase value for future sale. You might consider approaching an experienced agent for a comparative market analysis or touring comparable open houses to see how they compare to you and to get ideas for cost-effective improvements. You do have the gift of time on your side.