In My Neighborhood in 06896>Question Details

Nikki S., Home Buyer in Venice, CA

My husband and I are going to be relocating to the Fairfield area from Los Angeles, CA. We really like the homes that we see in Redding. Can?

Asked by Nikki S., Venice, CA Thu Nov 4, 2010

someone honestly tell me how rural it really is? For example: can we get pizza delivered? Run out to a place close by for coffee? We love the idea of living in the country but are quite used to city life. Are the nearest towns really "near?" Also, what is the realistic commute time into Grand Central Terminal? What is life like in Redding, CT? Thanks!

Answers

9
undisclosed2u’s answer
This is quite the rural comunity: You'll love it here. Privacy is the name of the game here. It's quiet, friendly to animals and great for walking around. Very safe.

The weather is generally wonderful -- Sandy was an exception. Spring time brings out the local flora and fauna and the local animals -- squirrls, deer, rabbits, the occasional small carnivors and/or omnivors. I would think that family pets are quite safe here.

We are seniors and feel quite at home. Safe. Close to everything, yet near enough to not be in the middle of everything.. There is a neighboring town, Bethel, within 7-10 minutes where shopping and EATING of any sort can be done, including the morning coffee break, and then retreat to quiet. Other things are within town -- post office, restaurant-- not for a quick coffee though -- seems to be more wine in the afternoon and with lunch. count on driving about 10 to 15 minutes to get you big town feelings. We grew up in N.Y.C..

We drive to Westport on Weekends and park free in th train station. It akes about an hour to get to Grand Central Station. The only thing I miss up here is the proximity to N.Y.C. We lived 23 minutes from Penn Station. Know what i mean?

Redding is quiet and wonderful! Luck with your home search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Greeting's Nikki,

Did you guys make the move yet? If you would like some helping finding your dream home in the Redding area I would love to introduce you to the neighborhood.

Sage Woodward
Coldwell Banker
203-313-1238
My wife and I moved to Redding 2 years ago and are in absolute bliss. We adore everything about Redding and cannot wait until the little ones start attending the schools. Nationally ranked. I am also a realtor and would love to help you if I can. Sage Woodward 203-313-1238
WE GET PIZZA DELIVERED ALL THE TIME. iT COMES FROM LOCAL PLACES. FOR US, LOCAL Is THE NEXT TOWN WHICH IS A FEW MINUTES AWAY BY CAR. This is a A WONDERFULLY SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD. SAFE FOR WALKING, FRIENDLY FOR ANIMALS. WE ARE RETIREES ND FND OURSELVES QUITE AT HOME HERE. THE WEATHER IS USUALLY VERY NICE. tHIS YEAR WE HAD AN UNUSUAL STORM IN SANDY. BELIVE ME, THIS IS VERY UNUSUAL FOR AROUND HERE. Sorry about the caps lock. We have really nice weather here. Mushy in the early spring and then the birds and all the local animals arrive and are wonderful to see and hear.. There is a wondrrul resivor just down the road with swans and ducks and geese here for the season. The spring brings beautful flowers and local flora and fauna.
California is quite different if you live by the ocean. In-land it's probably also different. This is really northeast in terms of environment.
We have access to every great medical facility -- it is just a drive. about 20 minutes away, in any direction. .Our local town is very friendly to retirees and to working people in terms of accessability to anything and to do things on a very local level. Don't be afraid to move here.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Be very careful about leaving So Cal to live in this area of Fairfield, CT... We did that a few years ago and were mis-led by every realtor we spoke to... When we moved to Easton (borders Redding), we were completely over our head with the costs... Having never experienced the joys of heating oil first hand, I foolishly believed the realtor and seller of the house we purchased as to how much it would cost... The oil company rep laughed out loud when I explained what we were told and said point blank that 'whoever told you that either does not live in CT or they're a liar...' The property taxes we paid were excessive (2% of the house purchase price) and really 'reared their ughly head' when we went to sell... Factor in personal taxes on your possessions (your automobiles, etc) to your costs, in addition to your DMV registration (my driver's license cost $117 to replace my CA one... Our income is in the top 5%, but it was just too much for us to continue to live in the area... Sold up at a loss of 30% and were glad to leave... (Can't be the only ones, there was an article in a newspaper when we first moved in of a man asking his realtor if he could afford to leave So CA for the area... He was told, 'Of course, if you live in So CA, you can fit in here easily.' The article says he fell into foreclosure when costs were excessive for him...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
There are 3 metro north train stations in redding. I have lived here 4 years and love it. There are stores, boutiques and malls less than 10 minutes away. House prices are less expensive and everything in general is less expensive.
Web Reference: http://www.sweetpeafarm.net
Hi Nikki,

Redding is very rural and gorgeous but if you are commuting to NYC this is not the town for you unless you plan on commuting 3-4 hours a day. Depending on where in Redding you might be about 10+ to the nearest DK or shopping. If rural is what you are looking for there are areas /towns like Wilton, Weston, New Canaan , Fairfield that are easier for commuting as well as closer to some shopping, restaurants, coffee shops ,etc. If you are really set on Redding then we would need to find you a home closer to the Wilton/Georgetown line for the easier commute to Grand Central.
Any questions feel free to call me.
Hi Nikki S.

You can always check out the New York Times "Living In" section which highlights town across the tri-state region each week. Here is an article regarding Redding, CT.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/03/realestate/if-you-re-think…

The commute into Grand Central is a little over 2 hours with a transfer at South Norwalk:

Here is a map of the New Haven line (red). Just click on each station for more information:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm
Here is a link to inform you of the town's demographics; http://www.city-data.com

Here's a link to restaurants in Redding ( I believe there is a pizza place there that delivers): http://www.historyofredding.com/HRrestaurants.htm

Regarding public transportation, there is a taxi service available 24 hours and it serves all Connecticut and New York airports, train stations, and bus terminals. There is one station in Redding and it is the West Redding station off Long Ridge Road, within minutes from Route 53. Annual parking permits are $150 and the daily fee is $5.

The Metro-North Commuter Railroad is available, (800-638-7646 or http://www.mta.info). Amtrak is available at Westport or Norwalk (800-872-7245 or http://www.amtrak.com)

Nearest airports are Westchester County Airport, LaGuardia, and Kennedy Airport for commercial flights.

Finally, here is the town's website: http://www.townofreddingct.org/Public_Documents/index

Hpoe that helps and if I can assist you further I am licensed in CT and can be reached via elizabeth@elizabethherbert.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Hi Nikki,

If you need connected with a great realtor in the area who can help and answer your questions HONESTLY, email us at ask@northernstatesmortgage.com. We have great agents that we work with all over Connecticut and would be happy to connect you with one that suits your needs.
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013