Knmccaff, Renter in New York, NY

Looking to move to the upper east side with a car- how is the street parking?

Asked by Knmccaff, New York, NY Thu May 19, 2011

Answers

5
Lindsey Newman’s answer
I have been a resident of the upper east side since 1976. I have lived on York Ave. between 72nd and 73rd streets, East 72nd Street and the river, East 60th Street and 1st Ave., and currently on East 62nd Street and 2nd Ave. Without a doubt, the area that is the most difficult to find street parking is in the lower east 60s. The rules in this area are having mostly to do with bridge traffic flow, in addition to the usual street cleaning/opposite side of the street, and holiday parking rules. While you will drive around for a while, it is much easier by comparison to find parking in the east 70s, 80s and 90s.

In case you are not also already aware, if you are looking for an apartment on the upper east side, or anywhere else in Manhattan, just be aware that if you are looking on your own and responding to apartment listings online, in the NY TImes, etc., etc., you are answering ads that were placed by the Sellers' Brokers. Their primary goal is to be loyal to the sellers, and are contractually obligated to market and advertise the properties they represent, in order to get the highest sale price possible. Since it costs you nothing, because sellers pay the entire commission, you should definitely consider having your own Buyer's Agent representing you. It is the goal of a Buyer's Agent to get to know the criteria that is important to the buyer, to understand their likes and dislikes, in order to save buyers time and money.

If you should have any additional Real Estate and upper east side related questions, please feel free to contact me..., I look forward to hearing from you.

Lindsey Newman
Senior Real Estate Sales Associate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 13, 2012
It's NYC, parking is tough but not impossible. You can find parking, the issue will be when you have to move your car during the week for stret cleaning. Most of us are at work which makes it difficult to do, if you're "thinking" about paying for a space may I suggest L.I.C (Long Island City) depending on the lot, it's one or perhaps two stops on the train. I know of one that's 24 hr, first stop on the E train, beats tickets or getting towed. Best of luck, grab the bull by the horns, contact me if I may be of service.

Please Contact:Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg Realty
127 East 56th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-1000 x 435 (tel)
(917) 647-8966 (cell)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Knmccaff,
Think about whether you are going to need your car and if are you going to use it often. If you won't be using it often perhaps you can get a economical monthly parking space somewhere in an outlying area. You'll find that you don't really need a car in Manhattan, especially with all the short term car rentals available now like zip car, mint and budget.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 30, 2011
Hello. In direct answer to your question, street parking on the UES is essentially non existant! Be prepared to get ticketed and fined. It will happen. As mentioned below, your best bet is to find garage parking with long term rates. Don't get me wrong, I love the City but Manhattan is not car friendly. Good luck.
Difficult!!!

Depending where on the UES. Majority of parking rules in New York are "No Parking" before 6 or 7pm. Some blocks offer street parking, you just have to be prepared to spend much of your time circling around or standing idle waiting for someone to free up the space. Being that UES is so densely populated, you are competing for one spot with hundreds of other drivers.

Try looking into long term parking rates in the area.