Greer Garcia, Home Buyer in Dallas, GA

Is this area any good?

Asked by Greer Garcia, Dallas, GA Sat Feb 25, 2012

? I have a friend in Grant Park and she has had a few car break-ins but otherwise likes her neighborhood. Also, my husband works in Roswell so is the commute terribly bad with traffic? I like the look and feel of the neighborhood but I know sometimes looks can be deceiving. Thanks!

Answers

8
Dave Herren’s answer
Greer,

I am very sorry to hear about your car break in. I have lived in Grant Park for almost 20 years, and yes I can say break-ins happen, but they are rare. If you take reasonable precautions to avoid being a target, you can greatly lessen the chances of being a victim. As for the commute, the outbound drive will be steady and predictable, inbound can be tricky depending on what events are going on downtown. On balance though, the benefits of living intown far outweigh the negatives. Pedestrian friendly streets, great restaurants, parks, the zoo, quick access to art, theater and sports venues, and just 10 minutes to the airport.

Good luck in your home search!
Hi Greer--
Grant Park is great. I have lots of friends who live there, and many of them raised or are raising children there. However, I would think long and hard about a commute from Grant Park to Roswell.

The drive from Grant Park may take your husband as much as 45 minutes each way. You and he need to ask yourselves, is 1.5 hours every day worth it? Lots of people do it, but I think many don't really thnk it through.

An hour and a half in the car every day comes to 30 hours a month. That's a lot of time-- not to mention a lot of gas. I would much rather spend my 30 hours with family or friends.

Just something to think about.

There are so many great neighborhoods on the north side of town--- and our expressways give such easy access that you can visit your Grant Park friends anytime you want with no hassle.

One more thing: I encourage you to talk with 2 or 3 sgents before deciding on one. This person is helping you with the most important financial decision of your life! You want someone with experience, as well as someone you like and feel comfortable with. You will be spending a lot of time with him or her in the coming weeks!

Have fun with your home search, and feel free to call me if I can help in any way.

Kind regards,
Sherrie Crow
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
Cell 404-790-8184
As the financier, remember that certain county taxes are much higher than others, so if you're on a budget, where you live may have an impact on how much you can buy. For every $50 spent on something (credit card payment, property tax, HOA dues) it takes away $10,000 of purchase power.
Hi, Greer. I'm actually an 18 year resident of Ormewood Park and also a top realtor in the area. So, I think I'm well qualified to answer your question. The Grant Park, Ormewood Park, East Atlanta area is a great place to be in my opinion. Like I said, I've lived here for many years. The neighborhoods certainly have changed over the years and are all great communities. Each neighborhood has a little bit different "personality", so you might want to spend some time getting to know each community.

Specifically, the commute to Roswell shouldn't be too bad. You'll definitely hit a bit of traffic going north in the mornings right in downtown. And, the commute home (going south) can sometimes get congested in the afternoons (particularly on Fridays). But, even when there's "traffic" it moves along fairly well and doesn't come to a stand-still unless there's a wreck or something.

If you're considering a move to the area and aren't familiar with it, I think the best thing you can do is find a good realtor who knows the neighborhoods. They can give you the inside scoop and help you explore the areas you might want to live in -- as well as areas to avoid! If you're not working with a REALTOR yet, our team is happy to help. Our website is below...
Web Reference: http://redrobingroup.com
Hey Greer, everytime someone asks a question like this you will get varying answers. That's because the definition of "any good" varies from people to people based upon personal preferences, values and priorities. What may be good for one person may not be for another. Any good for a family of 4 with different needs than a single guy or girl in their 20's or a nearing retirement empty nesters is all relative. Your best option is to sit down with a Realtor, discuss your values, needs and priorities and then determine the best areas for you to live based upon your answers. Some people endure long commute times from the burbs b/c they want a certain thing that ITP doesn't offer. Others love it inside the beltline and wouldn't have it any other way. Neither is better than the other, just offer different things to different people. Good luck.
Greer,
Rusty gives a good answer. I also live near Grant Park and love it. Prior to my real estate career I lived here and worked in Marietta and the commute was pretty easy since most people drive to Atlanta from the suburbs in the morning so your husband would be doing a reverse commute. For me, after Freedom Parkway, it was smooth sailing all the way. I feel the same way as Rusty. I lived in Suwanee and it was okay but I love it here !
David Bottomley
Keller Williams Atlanta Intown
404-245-4960 cell
I thinks its very unfortunate that we live in a time where many have no respect for the property of others. Are there area's that are considered safer than others? Yes. looking at your profile it looks like you are looking in the Dallas, Ga area. While I work all the metro Atlanta area, I have come to specialize in the Paulding, Cobb and Douglas County. There are many great deals here in Paulding. The School System is great, The taxes are low and there is an attitude of fiscal responsibility and smart growth. Nothing would please me more than to show you around Paulding County and let you get a feel for us out here. I can be reached at 678-773-0906.

Best regards

Jeff
I live there... and I love the neighborhood.

As is the case anywhere you live, be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious activity to the police (Zone headquarters is located right next to ZooAtlanta). You can sign up for crime watch reports on the Atlanta Police Department web site... then sign up for one in Dallas, GA... you may be surprised at the comparison.

As to commute times the trick is to work around the I-20 to Connector north interchange. Or just deal with it. Once you're past Freedom Parkway it opens up all the way to 400 north (most days that is). I suggest you and your husband spend the night with your friends and try the commute one or two days.

Having grown up in Atlanta's suburbs I promise you'll appreciate "life inside 285!"
Web Reference: http://www.ccratl.com