Gannon Hall, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Is this a good place to bring up a family? are the neighbors friendly? And is there a good shopping center nearby?

Asked by Gannon Hall, San Francisco, CA Fri Nov 18, 2011

Answers

8
I too am a big fan of Crocker Highlands. It is an area that is characteristically known as a nice place to raise a Family. Some of the best aspects are that it is walking distance to great shops, restaurants and parks. There is a great farmers market there as well.

One of the down sides of Crocker highlands or any neighborhood in Oakland is that the school system isn't so great once you leave elementary school. Crocker does have one of the highest rated elementary schools in oakland however many families move or send their kids to private school after elementary.

Another great thing about Crocker is that many of the homes have nice yards and the neighborhood for the most part has sidewalks which isn't the case with some neighboring communities such as Montclair.

All of Oakland has crime but in general, I believe most people would say that they feel it is a safe neighborhood and a wonderful place to raise a family. A good resource during your home search is to check out Oakland.crimespotting.org. You can pull up an interactive map that shows you recent crimes - its very useful.

I work with a lot of clients who move to this area from San Francisco. I grew up in the east bay and enjoy showing people the different neighborhoods. One thing that can be helpful is to just get in the car and tour different parts of town. Let me know If you're interested in that, many of my clients have found it very helpful to see the different neighborhoods and hear the pros and cons along the way.

Have a great weekend,
Aaron

Aaron D. Brown, Realtor
The GRUBB Company

510.334.6952  |  Mobile
510.339.6828  |  Fax
01821230        |  DRE

| 1960 Mountain Blvd | Oakland | CA | 94611 |

Aaron@AaronBrown.com

Sent from my iPad - please pardon brevity and any spelling or
grammatical errors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
I live in Crocker Highlands and love it -- all of my clients who I have sold homes to in the area love it as well. If you'd like to talk more about the area from an agent who calls it home, please feel free to contact me directly.

Cameron Platt, JD, CRS
Broker, Platt Inc. Real Estate
510-473-7767 direct
ccp(at)plattinc.com

2012 President, Oakland Association of REALTORS®
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
I like Crocker. The elementary school is supported by the parents. You are close to Grand Lake with the farmers market, Trader Joes and all those shops and at the other side is Glenview and the little shops and restaurants there as well. I don't know all the neighbors so I can't tell if they are friendly or not but I have nice relations with the folks I know in that area. Everybody has their ow ideas about what makes a good neighborhood. You can find out more information about Crocker and other East bay Neighborhoods at http://www.redoakrealty.com
good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
Hello Gannon,

It is unethical for us as real estate agents to comment on the safety or such issues of any area but here is a very good site that can assist you in finding out what the crime rates are in any area or such. Please let me know if you would like to receive a list of homes that are available in this area or if you would like to view something in person that you are already interested in.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
Always work with a quality Real Estate Professional that has been in the area for a length of time to get the information you are looking for when relocating to any area.
Crocker Highlands/Trestle Glen areas offer some of the best convenience, neighbors and charm in all the east bay. I have buyers that will close this week at 1328 Trestle Glen and they are so happy to have chosen this neighborhood over others. They can walk to Lakeshore shops and the booming Grand ave district. They also can hit the lake for exercise and for their dog and on the way hit the BEST farmers market in the East Bay on Saturdays.

If you want to get the essence of the hood then visit the Lakeshore HOA house on Lyman st.. They are so passionate about Crocker/Trestle and it is like a museum there. So friendly.
http://lakeshorehomes.net

One last kicker...the area was designed by Frederick Olmsted (most famous for Central Park). I bought a beautiful coffee table book of his work for my buyers when they close!
Feel free to contact me if you would like to reach out to my clients for reference.
JON DIRIENZO/ RED OAK REALTY / 510-292-2016/ BRE# 01354297
Not to repeat what others have pointed out so well, let me just say that I fully agree with Anna Brocco's answer and let me put it into a nutshell, do your own research to find out what fits you and your family, everyone is looking for something different...

Drive thru the neighborhoods at different times and days of the week, do your research on the internet, check the maps for where parks, restaurants, train stations etc. are, and as far as the schools are concerned you can find their school reports on the internet as well, and then by all means visit the schools in person and discuss what you think will be important for your children with the principals....

Good Luck to you!
Edith YourRealtor4Life! And Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
http://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
If unfamiliar with the area, do take the time and research online and do visit in person more than once, possibly chat with locals, visit shops, drive around, etc., then determine if the area suits your needs; keep in mind that opinions are subjective, what may be good for one may not necessarily be the case for another; as Kamal already pointed out below, real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods....