Global Prope…, Both Buyer and Seller in Philadelphia, PA

Is there any consideration to expand the University City catchment zone beyond it's current boundaries?

Asked by Global Property Group, Philadelphia, PA Mon Aug 11, 2008

Answers

7
Joe White’s answer
I don't really see that anyone actually answered your question about catchment area boundaries. Your property actually falls within THREE different area boundaries.

First, there is University City Special Services District. Their website is http://www.ucityphila.org Be sure to examine the 2008 District Report Card.

Second, you are within THe University of Pennsylvania District One which provides special financing and grants to University members when buying a house.

Finally, you are also within the U of P Expanded District. Some incentives also apply.

You are not within the Penn Alexander School Catchment. However, I market homes by emphasizing the positive aspects of these other districts. References available.

I have the precise borders and web links at my office. (I'm writing from home.) Hope this is helpful.

Joe
MoveSmarter@CBPref.com
Thank you for the responses. This house will be ready to show the week of Sept 8th. It won't be totally completed but enough will be done so the potential buyer can see what is happening. By the time their mortgage is complete, the house will be done, and, they may even want to change a paint color or tweak something else. Just like new construction. FSBO is the initial plan, however, I always compensate those who bring me a buyer. In this case 3%. Feel free to contact me directly.
I agree with Ryan's points (well except that he would be the best to service your property, but hey we are competitors).

If you do choose to not list with an agent, as I see many investors choosing to market on their own these days, please be sure to email us. I work as an agent (and also live) in University City and I have many clients that are looking for a home in University City, but can't always afford the more expensive ones in the catchment. So they buy just outside the catchment hoping to move into the catchment in a few years when their children start school. This way they can reap all the benefits of University City and look towards the future as far as the catchment goes.

Thanks!
John,

True, you'd probably do better on a price/sq. ft basis if the 400 block of south 48th were in the catchment, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buyer for the property-- I know the block pretty well: I'm assuming sunporch, rear deck, garage, and maybe a finished basement?

If you target Center City buyers who might be considering neighborhoods like the Art Museum Area, Fishtown, or Graduate Hospital, you're project is likely to stand out as offering a bit more value in terms of price/sq. ft, access to public transportation and perhaps even short/long term prospects for appreciation. (Who knows--the catchment area could shift out eventually, or maybe there will be a high school serving a wider geographic area sometime soon?)

Anyway, here's the pitch. (You knew it was coming :) I think Re/Max City Space and I (as a U-City resident) are particularly well prepared to help you accomplish the efficient sale you're looking for.
You can learn a little more about our approach at http://philadelphiarealestatehub.com/cityspace-sells.

Whether you're planning to list with an agent or not, I'd be happy to get a look and offer some feedback on the property sometime soon...

Ryan
thanks for the replies. I'm rehabbing and then will sell a 4/1.5 on the 400 block of s 48th. Planning to price to sell quickly and know that if it was in the catchment zone I could increase the price considerably.
Haven't heard anything about an expansion of the actual boundaries yet.

Check out every property currently available in the Penn Alexander Catchment here:
http://philadelphiarealestatehub.com/university-city/availab…

Ryan Hartman
Re/Max City Space
University City has already expanded. The further you go, it gets a little rougher but prices are attractive.

It is hard to count on anything the city may or may not do. Sure there might be consideration. Am curious how that would affect your purchase decision ? A special grant or the like ? What area are you considering ?

Feel free to search all the properties in Philadelphia and University City at our site below.