In My Neighborhood in 62275>Question Details

Rose, Both Buyer and Seller in Mulberry Grove, IL

Is there a 'water problem' in this area?? I noticed that some homes for sale lists a sump pump and battery back up for it. Thanks!

Asked by Rose, Mulberry Grove, IL Sat Oct 30, 2010

Answers

4
Many newer homes in this area are built with a sump pump in them. It does not necessarily mean that there is a water issue with that particular property. It's just an added safeguard in most cases. Some areas have higher water tables than others and one must look at each home on a case by case basis to determine if there are potential problems.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
Rose,
Maybe, maybe not. When I lived in southeastern Pennsylvania, my first home had a sump pump. That was not uncommon in the area, since the soil there is a very dense, heavy red clay that doesn't drain quickly. I really think the fact that the builder included a sump pump had more to do with the soil type than the flood zone. Also, in the five years that I lived in that house, I don't believe the pump was needed more than once, but I sure was glad I had it.

If you want to check the flood zone of a property, you can go to the FEMA website, referenced below, and put in the address.

The "X" zone is the least likely to flood; the "A" zone is more likely to do so. If the zone is "AE", you'll want to get a surveyor to do an elevation to determine the exact height above the mean high water mark of the lowest living area. This is relatively inexpensive, and will probably save you money on your flood insurance policy. Good luck in your home search.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
Rose,
I service all of central and southern Illinois. Each home in an area may be different and the seller has to divulge if the property or structure is in a flood plain. Your bank will require flood insurance, none the less, if they are worried about it. 100 year flood plain maps will help determine this. I would need a specific street to help determine it's vulnerability. Call me at if you need help.
The Charleston area is called the "Low Country" because we are an area near the ocean with many rivers, streams, and marsh areas dumping drain waters into the ocean. In some cases homes will be in an area where there are some of these water front communities that have a high water table and for the benefit of the property it is advised to have sump pumps and for the possibility of loss of electricity to have the battery backup. Many homes in the area are built in waterfront communities. That is one of the draws to the Low Country.
Web Reference: http://www.AnnLeVaur.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010