Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Is the "East Village" in Chicago a real neighborhood?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 15, 2012

In the past few years, the eastern side of the Ukrainian Village in Chicago has taken on the 'East Village' moniker.

Critics say that real estate agents want to make it a 'hip' place to live by naming it after the popular and trendy NY neighborhood by the same name. Thoughts?

Answers

10
Andy Ogorzaly’s answer
Ukrainian Village is split into 2 parts. East of Damen (from Grand to Division) is technically East Village, but there is no right or wrong. It is kind of confusing because there is also Noble Square, River West and Wicker Park within very close proximity. However, I think these names more show the history of the neighborhoods vs it being a trendy neighborhood. Remember that some of these buildings are the oldest in the city and that these areas were probably 4 times as dense as they are now! West Town is probably the more "modern" name that people came up with that encompasses all of these.
When the Lava Lounge was there, and Inner Town was a different place with Shirley the Muffin Lady coming in for nightly visits, and the only joint to get a coffee was that coffeshop with the black cat (Jinx?), and Leo's Lunchroom was still going strong, East Village seemed somewhat appropriate. Today, you might as well call it South Division. Maybe West Lincoln Park.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 19, 2012
The term East Village has been around at least 20 years as I have seen and read about it back then. Agents are not good enough or organized enough to name anything although I have no clue how the name came about.
I few years ago during the bubble years people caled all sorts of neighborhoods 'hip' and tried to gentrify them like....Humboldt/The Gap/West Ridge. Not exactly Hip to me.
Thanks!
Flag Wed Aug 15, 2012
It has quite the History:

Here is the associations website: http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
If it's not then I don't know where I live. And I'm pretty hip.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
While I am sure it was indeed a creation of the real estate agents, it is clear that there is demand to live in East Village (Division to Grand and Ashland to Damen) and the neighborhood has held its value better than the surrounding neighborhoods.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
yes.. there are signs on the street
yes, it's where the Ukrainian people tend to congregate an is known as Ukrainian village..I lived there
I believe it is, and its been around for more than just a few years.

If you "google" East Village, Chicago you will find it is part of the West Town neighborhood and the parimeters are August/Milwaukee to Damen & Division to Augusta.

Search here: http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/neighborhoods/ukrainia…

Hopes this helps.