Trulia Portl…, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Is it typical to know your neighbors in Portland?

Asked by Trulia Portland, Portland, OR Fri May 24, 2013

Answers

3
People are friendly in Portland. I think every neighborhood has people that like to get out and meet neighbors and others that don't. You can introduce yourself to your neighbors and see what happens from there? Some neighborhoods have HOA meetings where people can meet and people that have kids tend to meet and need baby sitters. You will find out soon who you will make friends with. Good luck to you. Tom Inglesby, Broker, RE/MAX
I live in the Belmont neighborhood of Southeast Portland. I know my neighbors well. We have each other's phone numbers and emails to keep each other in the loop about possible abandoned vehicles, suspicious characters and other happenings in our neighborhood.
We have a picnic in the summer. Some take food or flowers to the new people moving in. We all introduce ourselves to these people as well. Portland as a whole is friendlier than most places. It could be because a lot of us have moved here from other places. Community is important to Portland and we are an active community that celebrates food, wine, beer, green living, music,and life in general.
Portland is very localized within the neighborhoods. Monthly and weekly events especially during fair weather season (May-Oct) brings the neighbors out and your chances of running into them are even greater. Farmers markets, movies in the park, first/last (Thursday, Friday, etc) events bring people together- on top of the normal school events, community gardens, and other activities.