Question Details

Illisia Gain…, Renter in Houston, TX

Is it legal or ethical for agents to try to sell or rent the same listed properties at different or higher rates?

Asked by Illisia Gaines, Houston, TX Fri Feb 8, 2013

Answers

4
Jeanne Feenick (908) 337-0943’s answer
Agreed! The list price should be consistently conveyed to all. The sale/rent price may change in negotiations, but offering out a property at differing prices is not right by any standard.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Absolutely not and if you have evidence of an agent or agents doing this I would advise you to contact the Real Estate commission and report it. Each state has their own real estate commission simply Google "State Name, Real Estate Commission" to get their phone number and address.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013
No it is not. Here is what may be happening. Perhaps it was listed higher. Then syndicated. Now those websites have the old price. Then the price was changed. The old price is still floating around in outdated websites. Sometimes the agents fail to update the price on virtual tours, flyers, etc when a price is adjusted.

There are times when the Seller decides they want a higher price and the price actually goes up. So with that I wouldn't jump to a negative conclusion. I would ask more questions of the actual listing agent to find out what the story of the home, price and seller is and go from there.

Information is King.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013
No. As per Realtor Code of Ethics Standard of Practice 12-4

REALTORS® shall not offer for sale/lease or advertise property without authority. When acting as listing brokers or as subagents, REALTORS® shall not quote a price different from that agreed upon with the seller/landlord. (Amended 1/93)

Donald A Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Douglas Elliman Real Estate

http://www.nyhomeseller.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013