In My Neighborhood in 92275>Question Details

mjbne1, Other/Just Looking in Salton City, CA

Is a mobile on wheels allowed as a permanent residence at Salton Sea?

Asked by mjbne1, Salton City, CA Mon Oct 3, 2011

Answers

3
Question on Trulia: Is a mobile on wheels allowed as a permanent residence at Salton Sea? My answer in short is yes, with some qualification. I have seen single family homes with large garages/workshops to a pick up truck parked in a fenced area of a small lot as a home.

Your main issue with Imperial County would be the hook up to sewer and water. I think wheel and pier jacks are OK as well as permanent foundations, on private land, as long as sewer and water are permitted. I understand Salton Services District (West Shores) is stricter than non-district (Vist Del Mar).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 3, 2011
Is the property in a rental park (leased land) or is it on resident owned land? What year was he home built? Are you seeking an FHA loan? These questions will help us better determine what advice we can offer you. If the manufactured home is in a rental park and/or you are paying cash for it you won't have to worry about a foundation.

If you are moving a MH into a rental park you will need to pull an installation permit which requires that the home be set up on a California State Certified "Engineered Tiedown System" (ETS) which is a required number of heavy duty piers and or braces that connect the home to the ground.

If, however, you're placing it on privately owned property I would highly recommend contacting the Imperial County building department anonymously first. It is by far the most difficult county we've ever worked in when it comes to the permit process.

We have been providing engineered certifications, foundation retrofitting and the California required HCD (Housing and Community Development Department) 433a documentation for over 20 years. We are a Nationwide company and we've never had a more difficult time dealing with a building department anywhere in the Nation as we've had with Imperial County.

They charge absurd permit fees i.e. $1000 for a foundation permit whereas most other county's in the state only charge about $300. Additionally, San Bernardino is a little less complicated but it can still be a very frustrating experience.