In My Neighborhood in 33916>Question Details

abbi, Home Buyer in Kentucky

Is Fort Myers Florida a safe city to live in, crime wise? Also, what neighborhoods are the safest?

Asked by abbi, Kentucky Thu Feb 16, 2012

Answers

10
Only you can determine how safe a city and neighborhood are. Please do not ask anyone that holds a real estate license - we cannot answer that question as it can be construed as part of anti-Fair Housing laws.

Florida is pretty good about making all information public. Check with the FMPD and LCSO at http://www.fmpolice.com or http://www.sheriffleefl.org.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 16, 2012
Hi Abbi,

I moved to Fort Myers from New York City a few years ago.
There are areas that I do not feel comfortable in and other areas that seem very safe.
I suggest you plan to visit for a couple weeks so you can decide which areas feel best for you.
The area I live in now has a very good record on crime; however a few blocks away is not so great!
Fort Myers is a very large area. You can research crime in Lee County with the site below.

http://spotcrime.com/fl/lee+county
Abbi, it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, just as with any city, whether it's large or small. I'm not a realtor; I can say that. For example, if there is a rash of vandalism or car break-ins in one particular area, the crime stats for one area that may normally be deemed rather safe may spike and you may see a trend that makes you think one area is not as safe as it actually is. But it could be an isolated incident. In the summer months, some kids get bored and crime tends to go on the increase in some neighborhoods, but it tends to be minor incidents. There are some areas that have repeat incidents of what would be considered higher crime, such as shootings or drug cases. Keep an eye on the LCSO sheriff website and you will see what gets reported for Lee County, which extends all the way to Bonita to Lehigh. Cape Coral has its own PD, and FM has its own as well. There are some incidents that you may very well be able to tolerate, and there are some incidents that you may not even know about that go on in your neighborhood. Crime statistics tend to rise when the economy is down; they tend to decrease when the economy has picked back up.
The crime map on Trulia pulls its statistics from two separate databases and is reliable. It tells you what the different incidents are. However, one of the best ways to get a feel for a neighborhood is to drive through it. Do you see people out walking or jogging, pushing baby strollers, riding their bikes, kids out playing? If there are people out doing that, you may get a sense that people feel safe. Observe the activity in those neighborhoods. Go back at different times of the day. What do you see in the neighborhoods you like? All of these things help people who are moving to a place that is unfamiliar to them. There are places in Lee County I would never in a million years live, yet I know people who say they are very happy living there.
Read the graph. It shows in big red and blue towers the worst parts of town.
Hi Abbi,

As the others have told you, real estate agents are not allowed to discuss crime statistics with you. You can visit various web-sites, speak with local law enforcement and visit the areas you are considering at different times (during the day, nights and weekends) to get a feel for the neighborhood.

I see lots of Kentucky people have stopped by - I too am originally from Kentucky (born in Paris and raised in Lexington and Richmond) - most of my family members still live there. I have lived in Lee County for almost 24 years and know the area extremely well. Feel free to contact me if you are not already working with a Realtor®. I would love the opportunity to represent you with your purchase.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE
Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
phone: 239-707-4575
Abbi.......I am from Lexington originally. Go Cats!

check out the lee county sherrifs website http://www.sheriffleefl.org
this will have the info you need.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
As you have already been told, we as Realtors can not tell you what our opinion is of safe or unsafe. One thing to remember when you research this is that only about 1/3 of what we consider to be Fort Myers is the incorporated city of Fort Myers, the other 2/3 is unincorporated and just part of Lee County.
The best way, in my opinion, to see if you would like an area is to make a trip down and spend a couple of days driving around the area. Remember, even if we could give you our opinion of "good" or "bad" neighborhoods, there is a good chance that your opinion and our opinion would be different.
Good luck on your search.

David Lang
239-677-8780
oh poo-what a slidey answer.
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hi Abbi,
I moved here from KY in 1982. We go back to see some of the family occassionally but most of them have moved here. I would love the opportunity to show you around. I usually like to show my clients many areas of Lee County to help them with deciding which areas best meet their needs. If you would like me to help you then the first step is to set you up with a website that you and I can communicate through and you can recieve daily reports of homes that meet all your criteria. Just go to the link below. Happy to help you when you're ready.
Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2011" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Web Access to MLS:
Danielle - GREAT RESPONSE! Abbi - I would suggest you give us your wish list of what you want and we will do our best to find you a great place to live!

Ann