In My Neighborhood in 08406>Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in Ventnor City, NJ

Is Dorset Avenue a good street to buy on?

Asked by Mike, Ventnor City, NJ Mon Aug 17, 2009

? I saw a property at 205 N Dorset that looks very reasonable. Anyone know anything about the area and if the price seems normal for the area?

Answers

6
Priscilla Beuret’s answer
Dorset Avenue is a choice route for Ventnor residents to go from the Black Horse Pike to their destinations, avoiding the traffic headed for Atlantic City. Fortunately, most of the traffic is automobiles, though buses do use this route going to and from Ventnor Plaza. It is mixed light commercial - shops, restaurants, drug store, hardware, convenience store, mixed with residences - up to about 400 north.
Nice homes grace the street on down to the Back Bay. It is a well kept, busy street.
It should be noted that Dorset Ave. has a bridge that opens for tall boats on the Inland Waterway during the season. This bridge is currently under repair, and traffic will be detoured from February 4th until sometime in April if all goes as planned.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
its a great street. most of ventor is nice. dorset does get a little busy with trafic in the summer but other than that its a nice area
You might want to look at properties in Ventnor closer to the beach where there's actually less flooding than on Dorset.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 24, 2011
Hi Mike, I own 209 N. Dorset. We have been able to rent the property yearly for 1400-1500 per month plus utilities. We started out by using it for a second home, the value doubled and we leveraged it and bought another. It's tough right now, managing the debt, however, we know where our money is. If we had the same money in the stock market, it would have disappeared. It can be a little noisy, comparable to living in the city. We like the shops, restaurants, and convenience. There is a good demand for yearly rentals. I'm sure it's a bargain, especially if it is a duplex. You can live in one unit and rent the other. You can have a winter rental if you need the money during the winter. It's like having a small business and it's deductible. Go for it!

When you get too old to drive, you can retire there and take the bus!
Hi Mike,
It depends on what you are looking for and on which block of Dorset you are looking. The 200 Block tends to be busy in the summer, beach block and south side are less busy as is the 900 block. 205 N Dorset is currently under contract. The average sale price for a duplex in Ventnor in the past six months was approximately $260K. We have some terrific properties available in Ventnor, I'd be happy to send to you via email if you send me your email.

Happy New Year!
Dorest Ave. is one of the main connecting roads from the bay side to the ocean side of Ventnor, so actually It can get busy during the summer months. I was actually there yesterday and traffic was not heavy because of the weekday. The homes in this area seem very nice and well maintained. If you would like assistance with this or any other home, please call me at 609-870-0066.