In My Neighborhood in 14225>Question Details

Strong5259, Home Buyer in El Paso, TX

Is Cheektowaga a diverse city?

Asked by Strong5259, El Paso, TX Wed Aug 8, 2012

Answers

4
Diana’s answer
Cheetowaga BORDERS part of Buffalo (I'm unsure why someone said it's 6-10 miles away). It actually touches the city, and thus certain parts that touch bad parts of the city aren't the greatest, while other parts are still fairly nice. You have some very ghetto people in some areas and some very white trash types in others, with a lot of middle-class folks, both black and white, mixed in. From an architectural perspective its a very boring area - a lot of the housing was built at once by development companies, especially after WW2, so you have hundreds of small-ish houses in only two or three styles. Also, there isn't much to do outside of malls and chain businesses - there is almost no independent business development. A friend of mine's mother sold their family home there a few years ago TO A PIMP, no joke, who showed up cash in hand in a velvet suit. I know quite a few people who live there, present and past, and I worked in the area for 3+ years. Streets fall into three categories - white people who only want white people to live near them and blame everything bad that happens on non-white people (the cops are especially anti-non white in this area), black people who only want black people to live near them and think all white people are racists (the area is largely exclusively made up of streets that are either predominantly black or white people and racial tension is a big problem in parts of the suburb) and the third, smaller group are people who are nice to whatever neighbors act neighborly. Ethnically the area is predominantly Polish and German, with a few other small segments of European background and probably a REALLY tiny Latino, Asian and Middle Eastern population. The fastest growing segment is African-American. Diverse is not a word I would use and if you are looking for a "why can't we all just get along" area this is not it in my mind.
Cheektowaga still has some old ethnic sections.
Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
Cheektowaga is about 6 - 10 miles outside of Buffalo. But if you are interested in complete demographics you can check out the 2012 census data.