Osmonds, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

Is Brooklyn Park a good place to live in Minneapolis?

Asked by Osmonds, Minneapolis, MN Mon Sep 19, 2011

My husband and I will be moving to the Twin Cities in May next year. I have a job downtown and he will be working in Bloomington. We are looking for a $250k-275k house with a nice yard and 2-3 car garage. We would like a newer house. We've seen a lot of houses we like in Brooklyn Park, but don't know anything about the area. Is this a good suburb to live in? Is Brooklyn Park a tough drive to and from Bloomington? Do you have any other suburb suggestions where we could find a nice house and not have too terrible of a commute (no more than 30 minutes to downtown)?

Answers

15
Howdy, Osmonds.....

You are getting some good thoughts already, I see.

Listen, as a Certified Relocation Specialist for Edina Realty, I can tell you that there is some truth to what each of these fine members are telling you. There are many places within 30 minutes of DT that will potentially make you happy.

I am not sure how you focused on the Brooklyn Park area, but let me state for the record that this is a FINE choice! I lived in and raised my children in Brooklyn Park and there is a lot to offer you. I have not just a lot of history there, but a lot of experience working there, as well. In the past couple of weeks I have been looking at everything available between $225,000 and $265,000 with two different buyers. Let me just tell you that we are looking at some gorgeous newer homes that were purchased a couple of years ago for $350,000 and $400,000 that can be picked up today for this price range you are talking. The area just up the road in Champlin has the same things going on over there, and is also a grand community.

I realize that you won't be moving for 7-8 months. But now is the time to find a good, qualified real estate professional (you don't have to pay us anyway, you know....we come free of charge!) and have him/her begin showing you what is available in the various areas. I can set up a very detailed search and set up a portal directly on the MLS for you so you can see all the details and not waste a lot of time doing searches. This would all be in real time. So when a broker puts a new property on the market or if there is a price adjustment..... BAM! It is in your email box within 8-10 seconds. So by the time you get serious about looking, you will already have your arms wrapped all around this thing and you should be intimately in tune with the market and you will most importantly know what a good deal looks like.

The goal is that you can come here, look at a couple of properties in a couple of areas and relax. This should be fun and worry-free. That is what I do as a relocation specialist. And I would be honored to walk you through the process using these reports, a few maps, a few reports, etc. You may become as knowledgeable as some of us in no time!!

I look forward to hearing more from you,

Mark Claessens
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 19, 2011
It's hard not to find great areas in the Twin Cities and I'm proud to live here.

Depending on the time of day for your husbands commute to Bloomington it may be a hassle. However, Hwy 100 is a gem many forget about. But if he works non-peak hours Bloomington is a piece of cake.

Your commute to downtown would not be an issue anymore than other surrounding suburbs. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in Minneapolis itself in your price range so don't count that out either.

Web Reference: http://nateberg.com
“Steering” under the Fair Housing Act is the process of influencing a buyer’s choice of communities based upon the buyer’s race, color, religion, gender, disability, familial status, or national origin. Although you must "steer" in traffic, I'm pretty sure traffic is not a protected class.
Brooklyn Park is a nice area, but horrible for your commuting needs. If you are looking to the West metro, the light rail is heading that direction, or, I would look South from downtown along the light rail lines, or the major bus route down I35W.

As everywhere else, there are many nice homes available.
It's amazing how agents have forgotten about "steering" a violation of our real estate laws. I know you mean well but you have to protect your license also.
For commuting to Bloomington, I'd suggest looking south of Bloomington. There you'll find just as many homes as you like and the commute will be 50 times better as you don't have to pass through Minneapolis or St Paul to get there. Contact me if you would like specific cities to search in.
I would suggest northeast minneapolis (aka: downtown's best friend) but the price might be a tough one if you are gun-hoe on "newer+3garage". If you have any questions feel free to let me know. Best of Luck, Kristina :)
I sell new construction in Brooklyn Park (Novak-Fleck Custom Homes) and love this area. It has one of the best and longest park & trail systems in the Metro. I recommend looking in the Oxbow Creek West Development or anything North of Hwy 610. Let me know when you come in to town. Would love to help you explore the area!
Hi Osmonds!

These Realtors all offer good advice. Let's also consider resale. I know you are just moving here but the average buyers live in their new homes about seven years. In which areas would you be most likely to sell at a profit in 5, 10, 15 or more years? The old Realtors motto of Location, Location, Location still counts. My Price Trend Analysis shows that Brooklyn Park still has not yet settled in the market (prices still declining).

You may consider west Bloomington, Eden Prairie, parts of Minnetonka, or Plymouth for the home and commute times you seek.
I have to make a comment about something one of the other agents said. The agent said that the further out you go 'the more house you can get for your money.' I sell a lot of homes close to Minneapolis and in South Minneapolis. (I live there, too) You can possibly get a bigger home, but not a better home. Buyers look for different things in a home and many prefer homes with classic touches over square footage.

That said, you can get a great home with a nice yard and a 2-car garage in many areas of the Twin Cities. The area has parks, lakes, bike trails, dog parks, good schools and other things that make for the good life almost everywhere. I think you'll really like it here.
In my relocation experience, what you want and need in a community comes first; then check the housing available to see if it enhances your life style, schools, work, social life, community involvement level, activities for all family members, proximity to activities, parks, golf courses or tennis courts...in other words, how can it meet the criteria you establish? Then comes your choice of properties at the distance you wish to commute, in your price range, etc. I would advise getting a good agent - there are many of us with the experience and depth of knowledge of the entire metro area, transportation and routes included- and have that person develop a complete picture of your family, how you like to live and what kind of space needs you have. In the price range you indicated there are many fine homes of all ages and styles. Remember, your agent works for you, saves you time, money and work, yet you pay nothing extra for these prime services. Liz, 612-986-4105
Great question and some great answers too. One thing I'll add and it might be quite obvious, but people tend to be biased towards where they live, work and/or grew up. Like anything, there are plenty of pros and cons to each area of the Twin Cities. As a general rule of thumb, the further from downtown, the more house you typically get for your money and further out in general, the more options for new or newer construction. A couple other quick tidbits of advice...google the name of any realtors you are considering working with...this will help you find out a little bit more about the agents you choose to interview and/or spend time with. Be careful if anyone pushes you to or away from certain areas and developments and the agents you interview if they have relocation experience and whether or not they only work in one part of town or one city/area. In my opinion you will be best served by someone who has lived in several different parts of the Twin cities and who has grown up in the Twin Cities and knows about all of the different cities and counties that make up our Metro area. There are tons of great agents that work with relocation buyers and therefore cover the vast majority of the Twin Cities.
As the others have stated the southern suburbs could be an easier commute. However Hwy 100 is a nice direct route between the 2 cities and you will probably find a better value in Brooklyn Park area. Bloomington and Richfield won't have a huge selection of newer homes as they were mostly built out in the 50-80's. Much of Brooklyn Park was developed then too, but there is a large part of the city that has been developed in the past decade. You will have access to a great Bike trail that leads you to the Mississippi River and Elm Creek Park preserve, which is the largest park in Hennepin County. Either way I believe you will love what the Twin City area has to offer.
If you are going to be working in Bloomington and downtown Minneapolis, why don't you check out Bloomington? It's a very nice town, centrally located, with a lot going for it. You'd have a short drive to downtown or you could take the light rail, which has a stop in Bloomington. You could buy a very nice home in the price range you want.

I have one listing right now in Bloomington – a beautiful town home, but probably not what you want – and am very familiar with the area. I'd think you'd like it. You can contact me, if you'd like and I can send you examples of Bloomington homes as they come on the market.

Stephanie Fox
612-728-2204
spfox@cbburnet.com
You should probably focus your search on Richfield, South Minneapolis, Bloomington, Burnsville, Eagan, Apple Valley.

There's a lot of folks who work in downtown Minneapolis (9-5 M-F) who use the mass transit options which are excellent in Burnsville, Apple Valley, Bloomington. But you would still be within 30 minutes of downtown. Check out metrotransit.org.

Personally I would find the prospects of driving from Brooklyn Park to Bloomington to be quickly tedious.