In My Neighborhood in 85375>Question Details

JStratton7, Home Buyer in Sun City West, AZ

If my house has an addition which is not cooled or heated as the main house is, but just has a window air conditioner - Can that additional space be

Asked by JStratton7, Sun City West, AZ Sat Jul 28, 2012

used in the total square footage advertised? included in the total square footage of the house when it s advertised?

Answers

7
What is the purpose for asking this question? Is the purpose to sell your house by and make it appear better than the competition? Be careful about misrepresenting the facts. You do not want to put yourself in a position of liability. It has been the practice to use the square footage that is listed on the county tax assessor's website. This square footage is generally calculated by the square footage in the building permit when the home was built or when a permitted remodeling was made for habitable space. There are different requirements for different types of remodeling projects that may or may not increase the square footage of the home. A permitted patio cover does not increase the square footage of the home. But what happens when the patio cover is enclosed and an air conditioning unit is added? Is that space now more usable? If, for no other reason, it is important for you, the seller, to disclose all items for which you are aware to the buyer so that you do not become liable for misleading information.
No Not in Arizona. Must be vented to the main Heating and Cooling system.
What? Really , would you like to buy a home that did not disclose that the livable area is not to code. First, start with the foundation, does it have footings? We know it does not have a supply air or heat duct system connection. The walls and ceiling are not insulated. As a livable space does it have electrical outlets as per code? Is the floor elevation the same as the house, it needs to be the same if you want to meet Maricopa County codes. What about egress? Light ventilation? Hey, just a few concepts you might want to ponder .

Tom Beck Cobalt Properties, LLC ROC # 191826 A General Residential Contractor
cobaltproperties@cox.net
Yes, this additional room can be included in the square footage of the house. I suspect that you may be referring to a close in patio since this is very common in the Sun City area. Are you looking to sell or rent your home? I would be happy to work with you!
Yes, it can be included but I would note in the agent notes that the area is not included in the central AC but has a window AC. I have seen that a lot in Sun City where the laundry room has been expanded to make an extra room on the back of the garage. Most of the listings I have seen like that do not even have it noted. I would do it in the interest of full disclosure. Let me know if I can help or if you have any other questions. Kellie Gray, HomeSmart, 623-980-9508
Hi JStratton7,

I believe that an appraiser will not count that square footage in the total square foot of the home. Here is a website that I have found for you to look at. It talks about what I have heard from an appraiser that I've spoken with in the past.

Determine Finished Living Areas:

•Must be space intended for human occupancy.

•Must be heated by a conventional, permanent heating system.

•Must have walls, floors and ceilings of materials generally accepted for interior construction.

•Must be directly accessible from another finished area. That means a finished room accessed through any unfinished space cannot be counted as finished square feet.

Here is the site that I found this information on... http://homebuying.about.com/od/realestatecareers/ss/square_f…

I hope this helps !!! If you need any more help, or would like to talk about selling your home, please feel free to call me anytime !!!

-- Lisa Miller
623-326-9261
The answer is yes it can be included. But if it did not have a permit and does not show up on the county assessors site, you will need to reveal that in the agent notes and/or in the listing and in the Seller Disclosure Statement.

Please let me know if I can help.

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
Your Local Expert
623-688-0004