In My Neighborhood in 92648>Question Details

dsgx3, Home Owner in Huntington Beach, CA

If a property is zoned as R1, can I remodel my room over the garage into a 1 bedroom apartment and rent it out?

Asked by dsgx3, Huntington Beach, CA Sat Nov 17, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


John & Janis Arendsen’s answer
If you're in a neighborhood that is zoned for "Accessory Dwelling Units" (ADU's) and you meet all the setback issues there's no problem as long as you pull all the required permits. Trying to do it without a permit as some have suggested is fool hardy and won't garner you any value as an improvement. In fact in some cases when you go to sell the home you may even have to re convert it back to its original state.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
The answer is NO, legally. But people do it all the time. For example, downtown has garage apartments, everywhere. Are they are "legal" probably not but they exist. Therefore, it is all our ethical duty to say that you can not do it with out special permission from the city. I will say, the planning guys are nice and if you ask a few questions they may have an answer that will please you. It never hurts to try.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
Ingrid is spot on. As a real estate broker and general contractor I can tell you first hand that you need to start with the Building department. You could probably start with zoning and just talk to someone at the counter. This can usually be done with a phone call. But before you do anything check out your CC&R's.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
Hello HB owner

A realtor can not answer a city ordinance or city code question. Your best bet is call the city and get the right answer. The city inspector would be involved with this. Good luck
Any other questions I can help you with about Real Estate I would be happy to help you with

Ingrid Ski Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
you can add a bedroom and a bath with no issues. it's the kitchen that causes the problem. You can have a sink, counters and a refrigerater but the stove makes it a stand alone unit/living quarters and thats were you get caught. It's common to see units like this built with out the stove and then added after your project is signed off. Just remember if you go to sell in the furture you'll need to pull the stove and make it look like it was never there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
Although I've searched through the Huntington Beach zoning codes, there is no clear answer to your question. Your best bet is to go to city hall and check with the Permit Center at city hall.

On the other hand, I can tell you that I know of others who have done just what you're asking about. The real question is, did they obtain permits or not?
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
As long as you're not adding another housing unit and you do any renovations according to your city's building codes, you should have no problem.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer