In My Neighborhood in 04011>Question Details

Karen, Home Owner in Brunswick, ME

If I own a mobile home in a mobile park, who pays the property taxes, and if it's me do I have any rights?

Asked by Karen, Brunswick, ME Mon Jun 20, 2011

Dear Trulia,
My name is Karen, I sent a question just a little while ago and had information sent regarding mortgages and etc.. My question to you is this. We bought a mobile home in a very large mobile home park, very neat etc... but extremely strict. We can't have anything in our yards etc...What I am trying to find out is who is responsible for paying the property taxes? And if it's me do I have the right to do what ever I chose to on this property?
I guess it is two questions!! sorry. I know you are busy and I will look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your valuable time.

I work for a mobile home property management company. We pay the property tax on the land and the homes that are occupied as rental units. The residents in our communities are responsible for the homes property taxes (we pay the taxes on the land.) Depending upon the state in which you live either you will pay the property tax directly to city/county/school district etc or the property management will pay your taxes for you and add to your site rent. It is important to remember that not paying your property tax doesn't hurt the company, in fact the county can in fact put a lien on your home and seize it. As for maintaining your property, look at this way, now a-days most suburban & urban communities are now covenant controlled. Also, I ask you to realize that these communities can either be a "white trash" community or a great community to move through all phases of life. Our community managers deal with a lot if issues, complaints, district requirements (we have one community that has had so many restrictions placed on it because the rich community next door wants our land,) and a host of many things you probably don't realize....not to mention the pressure they get from our! I hope you living community is a pleasurable and enjoyable environment. Take care and thank your community manager for enforcing their rules! You probably live in a great area!
Who pays the property taxes will be covered in your rental agreement for occupancy in the mobile home park. Remember that you do not own the land on which your home sits. It is owned by the mobile home park operators. You are bound by the rules of occupancy which you signed when you move in. Paying your rent for provides the owners with the money to pay the property taxes but does not allow you to do whatever you want on or to the property.
I would check you rental/lease agreement, however I would not expect that you are responsible for property taxes on a lot in a park. I could be wrong. Your agreement should outline who is responsible for what... the town/city could tell you as well. Park restrictions should be clearly outlined in the agreement as well.