marzjewels, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Iam looking for a 2nd home to retire to, I have family in California but would like a place of my own would this be a good location for a 50yr old to

Asked by marzjewels, San Diego, CA Tue May 22, 2012

plan ahead

Answers

20
Maureen Hanley’s answer
Hi Marz,

If you are looking for a second home to use prior to retirement you may want to consider a condo close to the beach that you can rent out when you aren't going to be here. The vacation rental market is pretty good and with rates what they are, finding one that meets your budget shouldn't be too difficult. Otay Mesa is not that sort of area. It's primarily single family residential, a little inland of the beach, and not typically suited for vacation rentals.
Oceanside, Encinitas, Solana, LaJolla, Pacific Beach and Mission Beach might be good options for you. Every beach area has a little different atmosphere and more information concerning what you are looking for would help.
If you would like me to set up an MLS search that fits your specific criteria I would be more than happy to do so. This will allow you to see properties that are currently on the market and get updated when new ones become available.

Give me a call or email.

Maureen Hanley
619-608-6167
mhanley@sd-realtor.com
Hi
I highly recommend San Diego. Rancho Bernardo is a great community. There are a number of Adult 55+ communities here. With the great weather, excellent health care available and always something to do around town San Diego is the perfect place to retire
Are we talking Naples, Florida or San Diego, California? If I'm interpreting your question correctly it looks like you're interested in San Diego. Could you please give us some feedback? Thanks
Naples Florida offers different types of home types from upscale living in Luxury Real Estate in Resorts to single family homes in a private community with few community amenities. Some folks acquire Beachfront Condos or Waterfront homes to enjoy the serenity of the water views. Our website http://www.agent4naples.com can give you access to the Naples homes or condos that are on the Naples MLS..
Web Reference: http://www.agent4naples.com
You picked one of the best places to live in as a soon to be retiree. I specialize in senior relocation and would be happy to work with you. We've raised our 5 children in San Diego and now with 12 grandchildren and our entire family living in SD we couldn't think of a better place to live out our lives.

You have a lot of options. It just depends on your lifestyle. Do you golf, fish, jog, bicycle, hike play tennis? Do you like to ski? Would you like to start surfing, kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboarding? Or do you prefer a more sedentary lifestyle i.e. playing cards, visiting casinos, tours. Perhaps your more into the finer cultural things in life i.e. plays, concerts, art museums, etc.

There's a place for any and/or all of these activities just about anywhere in San Diego you wish to live. But one things for sure. You have just about everything and anything you could ever imagine or wish for right here and it's all wiring less than an hours drive from the middle of San Diego.

I'm a very active 66 year old going on 22 according to my kids. My wife and I are very active and do just about everything from surfing everyday there's waves to walking the many vast sandy beaches or riding our bicycles along the coast.

We enjoy theater, music, art and especially love to travel. You can do all of this in San Diego quite quickly and easily. Our very user friendly international airport can put you in touch with the World without a tremendous amount of complication and our great mass transit system, Amtrack, Coaster and the trolly system can get you anywhere you want to go without having to get behind the wheel and get tied up in traffic for hours.

There's myriad choices for senior living. You can purchase your own single family home in any number of very upscale and comfortable neighborhoods, live in a condo, town home or downtown high-rise apartment or condo.

Or you could live in anyone of dozens of very well appointed and exclusive senior communities. The sky is the limit. Just think about the things you like to do and there's a place for you in San Diego. I would love to be your personal escort. Feel free to call me anytime at 760 815-6977 or email me at onthelevel@cox.net. Also feel free to log onto our very user friendly websites.

http://www.tagrealestatesales.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
Welcome to California! I was born in Southern California and now reside in Northern California. We have some of the most incredible weather, depending on which area you land in. Further inland you will get the desert with dry heat, near the coast cooler climate with some fog, in the mountains we get snow.

We have communities which focus on horses, agriculture, golfing, water sports, urban, cities, beaches, art, culture, and more. Being in your age group I can speak to the active lifestyle our beautiful state has to offer you.

Depending on the type of community you would like, I believe California has one to offer you.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
At 50, I'm a transplanted Wisconsonite since 1988, and I love San Diego! San Diego has many unique communities in this big city that all have their own personality. San Diego also has plenty of opportunities for those of our age. Good luck in your adventure. Don't hesitate to contact me.
I Already Have Your HOMES!~
5 To Choose From!~
CALL Anytime @ 619-846-0700
http://www.JimTeak.com
The answer is going to depend upon the home purchase amount you qualify for with a lender, as well as your own preferences and interests.

What I can say about Otay Mesa is that it is a lovely community filled with newer homes. Being south of San Diego, you will get greater value for your dollar if you buy here than in a more central location.

Otay Mesa tends to be a bedroom community with a lot of families, but if your family is close by, then go for it!.

Let me know if I can help!
Marzjewels,

It starts with getting approved (if you need a mortgage), the location will be up to you, what are the things you are looking for in your retirement living?

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
2240 Otay Lakes Rd. #306
Chula Vista, Ca 91913
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Very Much SO!~
http://www.JimTeak.com
Try a 55 and up complex. I have a couple of listing in the San Diego area that allows you to own both the home and the land. Email me and I can send you the listing for you to view. Good luck on your search!

Jesse G. Salas
DRE#01877872
Homes for Heroes San Diego
Conventional Properties, Inc.
Direct: (619) 980-0883
There are some areas of Otay Mesa you may like; most areas aren't all bad or all good. We're really not allowed to tell you if an area is good or bad, but we can definitely show you some areas for you to get a look at or get acquainted with.

Depending on your budget, you have so many neighborhoods to consider here, I guess it just depends on what you're envisioning for yourself in retirement. Did you want to be in your family's neighborhood or maybe just within a close drive? Were you looking for a house or condo?

I can send you some listings from the area your family is in, and from other neighborhoods if you like, to see what's available in your price range. I'm also here if you just have questions about San Diego or properties you see.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
That really depends on your lifestyle. I have lived in San Diego since 1973 and have been around all the areas either to live or work in. Otay Mesa is very far south and borders Mexico. It is probably the most inexpensive part of the county. That being sad it can also have some issues with crime, polution and there is alot of heavy industry there.
My husband and I choose to retire in the North inland part of the county. We like the warm sun, little to no fog, and the activities of the entire county are no more than 30 minutes away in any direction.
Depending on where your family is, how close you would like to be, and your interests, San Diego is a large area and offers everything (except hurricanes, tornadoes, and snow in your driveway)
Let me know if I can help you further,
Patti Hall, SRES, GREEN
Real Living Lifestyles
(858) 414-3950
http://www.pattihallhomes.com
Good morning Sir, I'm from South Bay and know every inch of the community, I'd be happy to talk to you all about it but at the risk of writing a very long response here, feel free to call me to discuss over the phone. After 30 years in San Diego I know every community in town and I have many clients I've worked with in the area who can attest to my unparralelled service. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sergio Casas-Silva
Partner
Safe Harbor Money Management
CA DRE License #01863531
sergio@safeharbormm.com
(P) 858-405-3289
(F) 619-512-4421
San Diego is a great pace to retire. I am a native and although I have lived and worked in other parts of the country, I have always called San Diego home.
There are many different environments in San Diego: Beach, Urban, Suburban and Rural. Which one of these environments would you prefer? Do yo want to live close to your family? Would you prefer a single family home or a condominium?
Now is a great time to buy, rates and prices are both low. This has never happened in the 30* years that I have been active in San Diego real estate.
Please feel free to utilize the home search feature on my website to give you an overview of what is currently on the market. I can set up a custom search that will provide you with more tailored results.
When you are ready to view some homes please contact me and I will set up times to view the homes that best suit your needs.\

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Marz..San Diego is one of the top cities to retire to...there are many 55+ communities all up and down the coast. I can think of a couple in Carlsbad that are just lovely. But, you certainly have other options. I work with many people who decided to make San Diego their home for retirement. I would be happy to talk to you...Call me...

Jeannie Thompson
(858) 395 7727
Coldwell Banker
930 Prospect
La Jolla, CA 92037
DRE#01021435
www:TheRealEstateCat.com
Absolutely as being that I am a 3rd Generation San Diegan you have many choices where to live. It all comes down to the lifestyle you want . Many people retire and buy a 2nd home in the coastal communities. Feel free to call me with any questions. Thank You, David Indermill Re/Max International Hall Of Fame, Re/Max La Jolla 858-414-5478.
I have been living in San Diego since 2000 after having lived in different parts of California, and I LOVE San Diego and I think it is a great place to retire. The weather is always great as well as the people in San Diego.
But it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are a golfer, you can golf every day of of the week, or enjoy the beautiful beaches, and so much more.

I'd be happy to tell you more about San Diego, feel free to contact me directly or by email.

Fay Yates
858-229-5434
fayyates@yahoo.com
If you are not planning to move here for 5 years or longer you could buy in a 55 and older community and rent it out until you are ready to relocate? Some allow this and some don't.
San Diego area is the best for retirement, I think.