In My Neighborhood in 30084>Question Details

Amanda Mckis…, Renter in Duluth, GA

I would like to know more about Smoke Tree Subdivision in Tucker, GA.

Asked by Amanda Mckisson-kijek, Duluth, GA Wed May 23, 2012

I'm considering a home in Smoke Tree and interested in hearing whether people would recommend it or not.
Thanks!
Mandy

Answers

2
Actually, Smoketree is located in Gwinnett County even though it has a Tucker address and zip code. Most of Tucker is located in Dekalb County, except for the area which crosses over the Gwinnett County line. I just moved from Smoketree out of state (June 2012). It's a wonderful neighborhood, very family oriented and great location with respect to highway access and downtown Atlanta. Unfortunately the schools in the area (Nesbit Elementary, Lilburn MS and Meadowcreek HS) are not the best. Most of the children in Smoketree either attend private schools or are homeschooled because of this. The housing prices have dropped dramatically over the last few years, in part because the number of foreclosures has increased. That said, it would probably be a steal to buy in this neighborhood right now. Besides being family oriented, there is a homeowner's association (optional) which runs the pool and neighborhood events. Their used to be A LOT of events throughout the year (e.g., Halloween and Easter parties, summer pool parties, fall chili cook-off and square dancing, annual cookie swap, progressive dinners for adults, etc.). Since the HOA is voluntary it has been hard to maintain these events because those that volunteer have done their time and then some! It's a tough job to coordinate events when you have minimal help. Frequently it's the same people volunteering and they only have so much time to gi,ve. However, various annual events do take place and are quite enjoyable. In addition to the pool, there are two tennis courts, a cabana and a beautiful little lake. My family lived there for over 15 years. In many ways it is like a 1950s neighborhood in terms of community feel. Kids play outside and neighbors really do watch out for each other. Hope this info helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 19, 2012
Solid answer by Candace! A+
Flag Thu Jan 3, 2013
Smoketree is an older Dekalb neighborhood (late 1970's to early 1980's) that has seen some price erosion in the last few years, Mandy. What exactly are you looking to get in the way of a recommendation? Do you currently have an agent?

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.georgiamls.com/agentsite/index.cfm?SiteID=HAMMONDJOHNM

http://www.chapmanhallprofessionals.com
Hi Michael,
Yes I am currently working with a Buyers Agent who is helping me with Leasing it. I do plan to buy the home after lease term so I'm being rather diligent on my research of the neighborhood. Not really looking to hear anything specific. Just looking to see what others are saying about living in Smoke Tree. One of the first things I learned it that Smoke Tree is in Gwinnett, not Dekalb county. Thats a plus for me!
Mandy
Flag Wed May 23, 2012