In My Neighborhood in 07871>Question Details

Ginger, Home Buyer in Venice, FL

I work in NYC and I am thinking of moving to Lake Mohawk. How long is the commute to NYC in the am and pm?

Asked by Ginger, Venice, FL Mon Sep 27, 2010

Answers

15
Sparta & Lake Mohawk are very conveniently located for travel into the city. Those familiar with the area know that 15 & 80 are not your only route option. That said, my favorite way in is 80 to the GWB to the Henry Hudson. I cut through Central Park and I’m right where I need to be on the East side. There is also public transportation via Lakeland Bus http://www.lakelandbus.com/Sched80MFE.html or via train http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=Tri…
As a Sparta resident I may be biased, but the atmosphere, amenities and services of Sparta make it a great place to live. If you’re ever interested in a tour of the area please feel free to contact at 973-903-1638 or via email at nancy.hawk@cbmoves.com
All the Best – Nancy
Coldwell Banker
24 White Deer Plaza – Lake Mohawk
Sparta, NJ 07871
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 11, 2012
Lakeland Bus Lines goes from the Plaza in the center of town to Port Authority in NYC. The trip takes about one hour and 15 minutes or less. You can also pick up the train into Penn Station from either Dover or Mt. Arlington Stations, each about 15 mi south of Sparta.

A plan is in the works to start a shuttle directly to the train stations soon. You can find bus and train schedules on my website.
Web Reference: http://www.NJLakehouse.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
It is approximately 1 hour drive depends on traffic very easy commute if you learn the back roads that can be helpful as well.
Home prices in Sparta, NJ continue on their downward spiral in 2011-2012 with no relief in sight. Simply, increasing property tax rates is going to be a “Train Wreck” for Home Ownership in Sparta, NJ. I guess we are going to see home ownership rates drop even further for the Sparta residents.
Susan, if you own a home in Sparta, why in the world would you post this? How would you possibly think this would be helpful for the value of your home to post something so negative?
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
Thank-you for your e-mail question regarding the commute to New York City from Lake Mohawk. My husband travels that route every day and my son lives in Hoboken. Yes it is about 1.5 hours of commuting time , however the benefits of living on our Lake Community are rewarding.

Catherine Johannes
Reality Executives Sparta
Direct 973-713-4788
My wife made this commute via the bus line for about 14 months. It's about an hour and twenty minutes to Manhattan and an hour and a half back to Sparta. These are rush hour times. We actually used to own the log cabin at 274 Springbrook Trail before jobs moved us south. The Lake Mohawk/Sparta area is beautiful and you can clearly see the Lake from the balcony. Also...if you're interested in this house, whoever measured the square footage underestimated my about 500 square feet. They must not have counted the basement for some reason, which is a pretty cool room and we used it as our entertainment room.

Craig
Basements are generally not included in the tax assessor's measurement of square footage - and be happy about it :)
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
Hi Ginger,

On a good day you can make it from Sparta to the Lincoln Tunner in 55 minutes. However, commuter time, 6 -9 mornings and 3 - 7 evenings, can take up to an hour and half to two hours depending on traffic. But the good news is, we have really good bus service, which has reserved traffic lines into the city, and also train service about 20 minutes from Sparta. Sussex County itself is a really lovely area to live in and to many people well worth the commute. Please feel free to contact me at anytime from more information.
Ginger, Sparta is easily accessible to NYC via bus/driving as well as trains, which is why so many NYC commuters live here. Lake Mohawk certainly offers "living the lake lifestyle" but it will most likely take you at least 1-1/2 hrs. each way, depending on what time of day you travel, and weather conditions. It's a great town to come home to! Let me know if I can help you find a home and show you what the town has to offer!
I was thinking of taking the bus and 1.5 hours is about what I had figured. Thank you, everyone!
Lake Mohawk(Sparta, NJ) is about 50 miles from Manhattan. Without traffic(almost no such thing) you are looking at an hour and 15 minutes. With traffic, it could be as much as 2 hours, but I would allow at least 1 hour 40 minutes. Because of how Lake Mohawk is set up, it can also vary a little depending on where you are in the community. Obviously, if you are located within proximity to one of the gates in or out it will be a tick faster. It is a beautiful place to live and the golf course is nice, but not really a quick way in and out of the city. I'd be happy to assist you further, just let me know what other information would be helpful.
Interesting,

I'm just going there now to do an appraisal. Ginger that will be a LONG hard commute. Route 15 is horrendous during rush hour and there are no real good alternates from Sparta. People do it, but prepare to spend 3-4 hours a day in your car on average.

-Marc
Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Coolest map-based home search: http://www.marcpaolella.com
The traffic in NY is never going to be the same 2 days in a row...All you can do is hope for the best. Go one day and try out the route yourself. Look at a map and see if there are ways to get around the heaviest parts.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
I am told by a friend it is 1 1/2HRS by bus into NYC and approx. 2HRS home. This is during peek time, so depending on your schedule it may vary.
For an accurate answer as to your preferred times of travel do consider a test run beforehand--also consider utilizing Google Maps, Mapquest, etc., are you looking to drive, bus, train, etc.
If all the stars align for you it should take about an hour. Probably more like 1.5 -2 though given the normal delays from traffic.