In My Neighborhood in 85087>Question Details

Bob, Real Estate Pro in 99006

I want to know the pro's and con's of new river. Everything I see looks good but have not been there; but have been to Anthem so am thinking except

Asked by Bob, 99006 Thu Feb 3, 2011

for the more country living here, it is similar. Can a lemon or orange tree grow here? A suckky alternative is Yuma, as I am near Canada border and want to see some sun in winter....so how is life here, lease.

Answers

9
Everyone here seems to be giving nothing but positive feedback, so I'll add some negative...

I have friends that live in New River and I visited once. They've only lived there 4 years and are now looking to move. In order to plant anything, you'll need a jackhammer. Also, there is little to no rain, so if a garden or flowers are in your plans, you'll have to water. There's no grass, it's all sand, rock and brush. They've encountered numerous scorpions inside of their garage and home as well as several mishaps with rattlesnakes. Their dog was bitten and killed by one on the back porch. I strongly suggest a long vacation there before investing in a home and if you have children or small pets, I doubt it's the place for you.
We have lived in New River for more than 10 years and love it. The pros are: It's a quiet area, acre lots, people are friendly, many animals are welcome and fruit trees too, lots of wildlife and there are lots of trails for horseback riding or hiking and there is no HOA.
Anthem is about 6 miles away and offers shopping and dining. This is a welcomed convenience. The homes are close together and very similar looking. Anthem is a wonderful place for family living if you like living in a planned subdivision with HOA rules.
Our lifestyle is more country with horses and other animals. For Mike and I this is the perfect place to call home. If Anthem or New River sounds like a perfect place for you to call home contact us for expert real estate assistance at 623-826-6936
I am an agent, and I live in New River. i really enjoy the peace and quiet, clean air, mountain view, wildlife that the area has to offer. best place I have lived in the valley, and I have owner homes in Fountain Hills, Chandler, Glendale.
Anthem is nothing like New River. Anthem is clusters of same looking houses, HOA that tells you what you can do. New River is spacious and quiet and beautiful.
I grew up in AZ . I have lived and worked in New River for 5 years. I have a hard tine finding anything to say negative about the area and community. If you like it quiet with unbelievable starry nights and sunsets that you wont ever forget not to mention plenty of places to hike and ride off-road this could be the spot for you. The Tonto National Forest is walking distance for most who live here and offers amazing hiking and opportunities to see wildlife & ancient Indian petroglyphs. Lake Pleasant is nearby and being in the very north part of The Valley , it is an easy drive leaving town headed to Flagstaff or Sedona. With no HOAs, you wont stress out if you forget to bring the trash bin in from the street. The water quality from our private well (although very hard) is excellent with arsenic levels below government standards. There are areas within the community that have issues with water availability and have to haul it in. To that I would say make sure you have your well properly inspected before you buy unless you don' mind having water hauled. You can probably tell that I like it here, but I do understand it is not for everyone. If you would like some info on property available in this area, give me a call, I'd love to discuss your options as Arizona offers many. 602-615-2012
PS- lemon trees CAN grow, but spotty well water quality- may have high arsenic levels) may make eating produce from plants/trees with high watering needs less than desireable
New River is a sunny, warm, rural alternative to our snowbound northern friends.
Pros: Rural/Rustic
Residents value privacy
Equestrian properties available
Warm & Sunny, but generally 7-10 degrees cooler than reported temperatures in Phoenix
area.
Great value (i.e. housing prices have fallen 50-60% from their peak in 2005-2007)
Cons: Well water (no ciity water available)
Septic Systems
Remote (i.e most commercial locations are a minimum of 15 miles away- Wallmart, supermarkets, gas, personal/medical services, and various churches).
Surroundings are diverse- trailers can neighbor high-end homes.
The pro's of New River are large lots, no HOA's, county services and if you ride horses you can ride right out of your yard. Great if you like off the road adventures.

The con's of New River are, no HOA's, lot's of horse properties, county services, many unpaved roads, lack of water in some areas.

Depending on where in New River you buy, you can have easy access to I-17 or you could be 10 miles away from a major road. Sometimes you have to go around a mountain to get where you are going. A lot depends on what you want out of life.

But one thing is for sure there are very few similarities between Anthem and New River, except for location.
I have lived in New River for 10 years, we have an acre love the extra elbow room. I have many fruit trees that do great and a huge organic garden that thrives with shade cover. We lived in Anthem for 3 years prior to moving to New River and we absolutely love the fact we do not have an HOA. Anthem's HOA is pretty strict and does not allow you to have fruit trees!

If you need help finding the perfect home in New River, let me know.

~Anna Parascando
623-217-7041