Calvinsmithi…, Renter in Honolulu, HI

I see red flags too. Claude Burton wants a big check upfront but I can't see the property first, nor has he provided contact information in his

Asked by Calvinsmithinbox, Honolulu, HI Fri Sep 28, 2012

email. Here's the reply that I received when I asked to look at the property:

Right now I don't know the next Open House. But, since it's been schedule by the building management (Meaning it's not in my power to fix an open house without waiting for the schedule date of the building management. It is due to the right of the already existing tenants in the building, privacy and safety. However, due to the rush on this apartment I would advise you secure the apartment by making the down payment(which consist of the first month rent and the refundable security deposit), and have the apartment ready on your move in date and also the rent will start counting from your move in date. Though, on point of view and you don't like the apartment your down payment will definitely be refund back to you in cash and at point of view.

Answers

5
I was just in contact with 'Claude Burton'. I found his rental vacancy on another search site and he moved the communication on well, but never answered anything directly. I asked detailed questions that were never answered and he never wanted to meet before I gave hime my deposit and first months rent. I showed up at Kings Gate Apartment where he 'owned' the property, but they never heard of him. In his advertisement he stated 'I am the Landlord'.

I can't say it's a scam or that this guy is a slimy, low life peice of haha lepo..... but he also has rentals in other states that seem to be a hoax as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2014
my post should say "have not" recieved keys or possession.
This is definitely a scam. I received the same answer from a different person with a different number for the same property. The language you posted above was identical to the language I received. Unfortunately I went through and sent a deposit after signing a lease agreement and have received keys or instructions to take possession, only demands for more fees!
Send me the property address and I'll send you the property owner's name.
If the so called "agent" isn't giving their cell phone number, isn't on the island, and wants a deposit BEFORE you saw it, those are huge warning flags.
Is the person offering this place a Licensed Real Estate Agent?