In My Neighborhood in 02646>Question Details

Kris Pedersen, Home Buyer in Hardwick, NJ

I read in "Where to Retire" magazine an article about low tax havens........and in it they stated that for a

Asked by Kris Pedersen, Hardwick, NJ Fri Aug 7, 2009

$150,000 home ("Cape Cod (Barnstable) Mass"), real estate taxes are approx $950/year. But can anyone tell me what the "Cape Cod (Barnstabe) Mass" might mean? Think they mean Barnstable, the town? or Barnstable County? Are taxes really that low up there?!?!?!?! Where/How can I find out more?

Answers

3
Yes it is true
Each town on the Cape has several distinct Villages. The town of Barnstable has some of the most affordable homes here- especially the villages of Hyannis & Centerville.
Our taxes are that low and with good services too.
We do not have town waste removal though. Some towns do have town water or sewers.
Fewer school kids in many towns keep taxes low.
My family from N.J. all have bought homes here. It is a good time to buy.
Each town has a website with lots of good info on taxes. We have an alleged 100% valuation system
I can trace the tax assessement history on any specific property for you. I find that zipskinny website may have good demographic info for you.

good luck,

Thom Schoepfer
Ma Lic Broker
S.R.E.S., A.B.R.
RE/MAX Classic
thoms@remax.net
Kris, There are several towns that have low taxes. Dennis is $5.07 per $1,000.00 of assessment. Truro is $4.74. Barnstable is $6.90.

Check out this list of all the Towns in MA. Link to this informaton is attached.
Good Afternoon Kris,

They mean the 'Town' of Barnstable. This would include the 7 villages Hyannis (including Hyannisport), Centerville, Marstons Mills, Cotuit, Osterville, West Barnstable and Barnstable Village. It is important to note that when researching MLS listings, there is a residential tax exemption of $105,000.00 for primary homes. Second home owners are not eligible for the exemption. This can increase the taxes on a property by approximately $550.00. Personally, I think that Hyannis Port offers the best vacation home location for the dollar. You can still buy 1 mile to the ocean for low 200k range and walk to ocean for mid 300k range. If you have further questions about this market area, please feel free to contact me by email or mobile.