Julie, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

I plan on moving to the San Diego at the beginning of August from Arizona and I was wondering what areas would be best to look into moving to?

Asked by Julie, Phoenix, AZ Thu May 13, 2010

Answers

8
San Diego is always a treat. You may want to provide a some more information. Your price range? SFR, mid-rise or high rise condo? What do you like to do in your spare time? Would you like to live within walking distance for that? .... San Diego has such a variety of housing. Each community has it's own appeal. .... Happy funding, Rudi
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 7, 2010
Hi Julie,

First off, congrats on making the move out further west to America's Finest City. San Diego is an amazing place that appeals to people for a variety of reasons and depending on what your interests are as well as where you will be working, that will dictate where to move. The one downside to being such a desired place to live is the traffic which can build up in certain areas and you will want to be cognizant of this (I always recommend doing the commute before purchasing so there are no surprises.) Many people come for the endless miles of coastline and if you are looking to live on the coast, you will generally pay a premium for that and often times, it is 10 degrees or so cooler and overcast, as opposed to living inland. There are far too many neighborhoods and areas of San Diego to go into detail here, but I'd be more than happy to discuss what would work best for you depending on your needs.
Hi Julie,

Here are some of my favorite neighborhoods in San Diego.

Cardiff- Near the beach, hip, younger families, but not the cheapest. A single family home will go for $600K plus.

North Park/Normal Heights- Trendy, urban, craftsman/character homes, close to downtown...homes are definitely older...people tend to want to fix them up. The homes start as low as 200K, but the square footage is quite small at that price. Really cool bars, restuarants etc.

Carmel Valley- Arguably the best schools in the county, near the beach....you can do a condo around 400K, homes can get pricey.

Poway- Great schools and great bang for your buck. Safe community, awesome school district, but you are inland a little ways.

There are a lot of great places in San Diego. Let me know if we can help you out!

Dave
858-926-9181
Web Reference: http://www.werthwebster.com
Julie!
San Diego is great and has many great areas. As others stated you needs and buget will determine what areas. You are better to give more specifics on what is important to you, what your needs are and what your buget is and then some areas can be given for consideration.
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com
Julie,
That is a tough question to answer. I don't have enough information about you, your needs and most important, yes the all important budget. You will find that San Diego prices are much higher than Arizona and that though the housing market has taken a beating, here in San diego it is not that obvious.

Good luck with the move.

Susan
There are a lot of neighborhoods in San Diego basically, it all boils down to what you are looking for: old vs new area, condo vs apartment vs house, suburban vs urban, good schools, nightlife, etc. Also, home prices are just as diverse as San Diego is itself. Your best bet is to visit San Diego and take a drive around the county. Here is a link to San Diego neighborhoods guild.
It completely depends what kind of lifestyle and environment you're looking for, and your price range. There are a ton of different nice areas in San Diego, each with their own appeal. Are you looking for something beachy (like Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, etc).... do you want a more urban lifestyle (Downtown area)... do you want a more suburban type of living (inland/Scripps Ranch/Poway, East County area, to name a few)... do you want a higher end coast community (La Jolla, Del Mar)... These are just some of the many nice areas in San Diego. I recommend you get in touch with a local buyers agent in San Diego (if you need a referral, let me know) - They can tell you a bit more about different San Diego areas, and help you choose some to begin looking in. They can also help you find a great home in your price range.

Richard Schulman
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
San Diego is a great city. My son is in the Navy and was based on San Clemente Island. He got an apartment in San Diego in the Gaslamp District and absolutely loved it. He was recently transferred to a carrier in Japan. He said eventually, when he's ready to settle down, he's going back to stay in San Diego. Are you looking to rent or buy in San Diego? Because your price range will help to determine what areas will be suitable for you. I can send you what's available for listings but I would need more specifics from you; i.e. rent vs. buy; price range, # of bedrooms/baths, etc. You can email me your search criteria to: cfleming@coldwellbanker.com. Good luck with your home search!