In My Neighborhood in 90740>Question Details

Isabel, Renter in Bronx, NY

I'm thinking to make a 360 degree turn in changing my life style from the busy life from the east coast NY to the sunny beach side and more slow pace

Asked by Isabel, Bronx, NY Sun Jan 29, 2012

lifestyle to seal beach... It's a big move .... I need more info how is life in the area. Please any info would be appreciated,. :).

Answers

11
You do realize that a 360 degree turn means you end in the place where you started, right? Do you actually mean a 180 degree turn? That takes you in the opposite direction...
Good luck with your decision Isabel. There are many great beach communities and they have similarities and their own uniqueness too. You have mentioned Seal Beach, why? What draws you to that particular city? I would not discount Seal Beach, it is a good place but I am curious why there and not another? Have you visited the area before, have friends or family nearby? If so get their advice about the area. If no one is here to advise you I would suggest looking online at city websites, search for events that go on, are schools important, look for demographics and whatever you can think of that would be important? What kind of work would you do when here? Can you spend a bit of time in the area once you have narrowed it down?

I threw out a lot of questions to hopefully give you an idea or two, each city is different and one will 'speak' to you more than another. Some are have older towns, smaller streets, views may be different and have you considered going farther South toward San Diego or North toward Marina Del Rey, lots of beach communities in between.

I am in South Orange County near Dana Point, about an hour North of San Diego and an hour South of Los Angeles. Price will also dictate areas and the closer you are to the water the higher the homes sell for and rent for.

This is indeed a big adventure to consider, good luck, by the way, January 29th and it will be low 70 degrees today at the beach, you won't have to pack your winter coats. :-)

Brian Wilson, Realtor
DRE# 01321478
949-933-0852
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 29, 2012
As a realtor I cover all the coastal areas but I chose Seal Beach 10 years ago as my home. It has all the sweetness of an old fashioned town with a charming Main Street. There's easy access to shops and dining and many choices nearby -either to Belmont for fun or Newport for luxury and Huntington for action is just a bike ride away.

I moved from Hollywood so the change was a great lifestyle turn, no traffic, no noise, better air, walkable, great schools. And for my family it was the absolute best choice. You will know your neighbors.

What to do in Seal Beach, well, you have to love the beautiful sandy beach. Bike, skate walk or jog the entire town and back in twenty minutes or so. Volleyball or windsurfing, great local shops, restaurants and bars. The annual parade and community events and concerts. This is living stress free.

The homes that come on the market don't last long, and sometimes sell before they are listed so you will want a realtor that knows Seal Beach well. I am happy to help. The right time, if there is such a thing, is now.

Paule McKenna
All Coastal Real Estate
# BRE01781416
562.353.9304
Seal Beach would be a great choice. It is a slow paced city with a small town feel. You can walk on the beach every day and meet the local people at the nearby coffee shops, restaurants and bars. This posting was originally made about two year ago, so Im curious if you ever made the move. Keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-737 Cell
BRe LIc #01456982
Hello Isabel,

Seal Beach is May Berry by the Sea. The community is small and tight knit. Local dentist still actually know all their patients by name. The cool breezes and blue skies are almost year round. Students in Seal Beach attend the award winning Los Alamitos Unified School District. Seal Beach is located near major freeways in California the 405, 605, and 710. If will be traveling back to NY to visit from time to time you will be close to LAX, Long Beach Airport , and John Wayne airport. Seal Beach has plenty of activities for the young and young at heart. I love working in Seal Beach. I have been tied to this community for the past 20 years, and would not have it any other way.

So come on out to Seal Beach California, our sleepy little beach town would love to welcome you.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
714-293-1151
Dear isabel:
Totally get the warm weather desire...no more snow...except when you wan to go skiing or throw a snowball...and that is just a short jaunt from the beach.
You will immediately be welcomed into this friendly neighborhood with warm smiles and cheery hellos. A short walk up the beach you will find our most famous landmark, the Seal Beach Pier. Walk just a couple of blocks up to Main Street and find restaurants for all tastes and pocketbooks, clothing and gift boutiques, art galleries, as well as the locals’ favorite Irish Pubs, ice cream parlors and coffee houses complete with wireless internet. There are many community activities during all times of the year, especially in the summer months. Enjoy the weekly Farmers market in Alamitos Bay , the Summer Concert Series at the Pier , annual classic car show and kite festival . If you visit during the spring and summer you’ll experience our famous GRUNION RUN …it’s an amazing thrill to fish by hand by the Seal Beach Pier .
Our Old Town Seal Beach also has a number of different parks and green space areas for leisurely stroll, throwing the baseball around, or just sitting on a bench to do a bit of people watching. Drive less than 5 minutes to the Marina and rent an electric Duffy Boat to cruise the charming Canals of Naples , board the Reggae Party boat for an evening cruise of the bay with live music, catch the Water Taxi to bring you to the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific of Long Beach or take a romantic ride in a Gondola and be serenated under one of the bridges on a canal in Naples . Take the dogs to Doggie beach where they can play off leashes at the water’s edge and even take a swim!Bolsa Chica Beach is just 10 minutes south where you can have a Bonfire on the sand!
Whether you are visiting for a romantic getaway, stress free break, or fun filled vacation, Seal Beach is sure to be a destination where you will create many memories. So come and visit one of the last quaint beach towns…you’ll want to come back over and over again! See more Seal Beach annual events.

IS your desire to move in the next 4-6 months? DO you have a price range? What are your must haves in a home? Single family or condo? On the beach, a walk to the beach or will you want to drive? IS Seal Beach your only option...NO! There are many nice beach communities that may fit your lifestyle.
I would be pleased to help you find your new home.
Valerie O'Brien
Keller Williams Newport Estates
949-478-2892
http://www.valeriejobrien.com
Hi Isabel, Great choice, Seal Beach Rocks! It literally goes from serene to supreme, a real combination of old school and
I can assist you with this new adventure in your life!

I grew up in & live in the Seal Beach area now. Where to live in Seal Beach will, of course 1st depend on your price range, then will depend on whether or not you would like a backyard. You see, if you choose to live in "Old Town" Seal Beach, you may just have a small courtyard or patio, the homes are big, but this is the trade off for being able to walk out your front door & just walk down to the sand or over to the shops & restaurants along Main Street.

Or , if you'd like a backyard with grass & room for the kids or doggies to really run around OR if you think you might like to have your own private pool, then you need only cross over Pacific Coast Hwy to live on "The Hill or in 'The Coves" of Seal Beach. My brother lives in the Coves, he's got a nice big lot!

I obviously know the area very well and even the surrounding areas, one in particular called Rossmoor where if you would like a bigger lot than you could get on The Hill, this is where you may choose.

I'd love to talk to you about this further, I can send you available homes either For Rent or For Sale, are you looking to rent right now? Shoot me an email directly if you want to talk about this some more, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtor
Isabel Seal Beach is all about lifestyle. I'm a fourth generation resident and run a real estate business located in old town Seal Beach. My family enjoys living, working and playing in Seal Beach, I've never known another home. For more information on the lifestyle offered in our small beach community, my website offers a wealth of information (and a webcam).
My parents live in Seal Beach and I grew up in the surrounding area. Seal Beach is a small coastal city - real cute and quaint in the areas by the coast and pretty convenient to many other cities and attractions worth seeing (Long Beach, Huntington Beach to name a couple). It's not cheap there, but if you're coming from NYC you might find prices to be reasonable. I'm not sure that I'd call life there "slow pace", but again if you're coming from the city you might find it much slower pace than NYC.

If you want a slower paced lifestyle with big city amenities, I might suggest giving a move to Portland, OR some thought. :)

(Of course, you can forget the "sunny" part if you come up here...)

Wayne Olson
Real Estate Broker - Coldwell Banker Seal
Direct: 503-699-3722
http://wayneolsonhomes.com
Hi Isabel

I would be happy to send you the information. Email me at Ingrid@IngridSki.com and I will send that over this morning. Bye for now

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
Ingrid@IngridSki.com