Zen_714, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

I'm looking at a really nice house in a not so nice area of Del Rey (Mar Vista Gardens) on Braddock near Ingelwood Ave near the projects. I'm a SWF

Asked by Zen_714, Los Angeles, CA Sat Nov 3, 2012

professional, do you think its safe and the area will improve, gentrify? Will the projects ever go away like the ones in Venice did? Will Housing values go up so close to the projects?

Answers

5
Hi Zen,
Since I live in this area I can tell how safe it has been. I am quite a bit more qualified than most here since I have owned my house here since 06" This is one of the last areas semi-coastal in so cal that house for under a million can still be bought. Wtih the huge police station in that area its been very safe. Also in addition, it is adjacent to culver city that features it own polica force. These house values have been holding firm the past few several years through the housing crisis that the has happened. Also, yes the values have been starting to go up, very steadily. Feel conifident in your choice of this area. If you neeed any help call me now. I specialize in this area.
Good luck !
Neal
800-394-1533
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
I have heard that they are closing those projects soon and that they are not letting people in them anymore, but I have not verified it.

If you spend anytime in the area you will see kids, professional people walking their dogs, excercising, etc. You will also see an amazing melting pot of people. The less desirable areas are not only the projects, but also the very dense row of apartments on Slauson down from Bradock... Additionally a BIG and active LAPD station on Centinela and Culver bldv detracts any criminal activity

So it is still a neighborhood in transition, buht yes is gentrifying... anything on the west side and close to the beach will attract more affluent people. Additionally you have the Balloma Creek and bike path you can take for 3 miles on a bike to end in Marina Del Rey pier.

Ultimately you have to make the desicion... I sold many houses in this area and all went well...

If you find my answer useful, please give it a Thumbs Up!

Ron
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
If you check the trends you see that homes that sold in the area in the last 6 months have pretty much sold at asking price and in the case of the homes on Dawes and Lindblade, they ended up selling over the asking price. Most of them sold in ynder 2 months. That tells me that the buyers have confidence in the area and I wouldn't be surprised to see the trend continuing upward and home prices rising over the next few years. If you ask me the area has improved and along with this improvement, crime has fallen. I think it's a good time to buy in that area. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Go to this website as well and put in the address and choose a police dept and click enter for crime statistics in the vacinity? http://www.crimemapping.com

Home prices are on the rise no matter where they are located. Some better locations rising more than others. We are not allowed to say to much but you could check with the city or HUD for the plans?

Do you have financing approval, down payment and closing costs?

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/HalfPercentDown.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/ContactSheryl.aspx
Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker – Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
20+ Years Experience
DRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
A fellow colleague has been saying (at least since 2006) that the projects were being removed. Haven't seen that. Is there any reason you wouldn't check with your prospective neighbors? Only you can determine whether you feel safe enough to live there. And, as for gentrification, there is the new, major development along Culver.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012