Sami, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

I'm considering renting a large loft (1BR) in SoMa in San Francisco, but I hear there's a huge difference b/w 1st and 7th street?

Asked by Sami, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 30, 2012

What should I know about the different areas in SoMa; I hear that 1st street vs. 8th street in SoMa are like different worlds in terms of safety, quality, rental prices, etc. What should I be aware of before signing a lease?

Answers

2
The 6th Street corridor between Market and Howard is dense with single room occupancy hotels (SROs) and has a large transient population. Vagrancy and public drunkenness is a problem. The issues spill over to the adjacent blocks, so 7th Street is also affected.

That said, there are many with high hopes for the area. The future Twitter Headquarters on Market between 9th and 10th Streets will certainly have an impact and my friends and associates who live at the SOMA Grand Condominiums on Mission between 7th and 8th tell me new businesses and restaurants are dramatically changing their local streetscapes .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 30, 2012
You're correct in that there are big differences between lofts near 1st street and those near 7th. San Francisco is all about microclimates and – to a certain extent – micromarkets. The areas nearer to the financial district and South of Market area are the ones that are newer construction, high-rises,full-service/door person buildings. These areas are east of 5th/4th Streets. Meanwhile, areas closer to 7th to 10th St. will have the larger, big volume lofts with less amenities. The areas are a bit rougher and less walker friendly. But this translates to lower HOA dues for landlords that may translate into lower rents for you. Still though, rents are high for lofts like everything else in SF anf you should expect rents to start at $2500+ which may make buying more appealing.