Candice Roque, Home Buyer in Fall River, MA

I'm building a house in Fall River - does anyone know the zoning laws, specifically how long my driveway has to be from the property line?

Asked by Candice Roque, Fall River, MA Tue Jul 10, 2012

The house that I want to build has a garage built into the floor plan. It's going to be a bit of a tight fit with the house for the land that I have, so I need to know how much space I need to set aside for the driveway to have a driveway that is legal (if their are laws with regards to these things, as I imagine they are). Please forgive me. I am new at this! Thanks, in advance!

Candice, can we have an update, did you get an attorney to guide you?
I am meeting with the contractor the first week of August. I am sure he will be able to guide me. I don't think I will have a problem. I've adjusted my plan so that I will have plenty of frontage. The contractor is going to review the plan (that actually originally came from him), and he will take a look at the land and tell me what he thinks. My lawyer has been involved from the very beginning and will surely review anything before I sign any dotted lines. Thanks again for all of your help.
Flag Mon Jul 23, 2012
I have a chart that shows Zoning right in my office. I just need the street name and I can tell you all your setbacks. Call me at 508-207-3777
Hello Candice,

Fall River minimum setbacks (distance from street to house) are 25 feet without a variance. That should allow plenty of room for your driveway.

I haven't seen any restrictions on length or driveway size.

Best of Luck,
The South Coast Real Estate Lady
Karen Barney
Hello Candice,

Here are a few resourceful links:…

I also sent them an email for you. I will let you know as soon as I receive a response.

Best Wishes & Happy Building!
Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!!
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
Candice, I suggest you speak with the building dept, they will provide you all you need to know and then some. I also suggest you get a licensed contractor and make sure that he has insurance and workmans comp and excellent references. I also recommend you have your attorney review everything prior to signing anything, especially the land you plan on building on as it sounds you are unclear if you can build what you want.
Thank you for the advice, as always. It seems I will need to go to the building department. I was trying to get as much information as I could myself online, so that I have the least surprises as possible when I do sit down with the experts. Unfortunately, I think I've done all I can myself. I don't think this info exists online. To the experts I go! Thanks again!
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
If you are in the process of building, you will have an approved set of plans; the Building Department should have already scrutenized them.

If you are building without a permit; you are already in trouble!

If you have doubts, you should take your question to the Building Department, because anything we say in meaningless.

Good luck and may God bless
Thank you for your answer. I haven't actually started building yet. I own the land, and I am in the process of picking a house that will fit on the land with an adequate yard for my needs and adequate space for a driveway according to city laws. For the house plan I'm currently considering, I am not sure if it will fit properly on the land with regards to how much room I will HAVE to have for the driveway. If I find it wont be possible to build this house, I will either amend the floor plan (make some of the rooms smaller so that the driveway will fit, etc.) or look for another floor plan altogether. I've been searching online, but I can't find the regulations for how long a driveway needs to be in Fall River (not even sure there is a law on this, but I imagine there must be). Maybe I will not be able to obtain this info w/out bringing the plans to the Building Department? I was trying to save myself the trip as it would be easy to look at other plans if I knew the zoning laws.
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012