In My Neighborhood in 60137>Question Details

capricorn 69, Renter in Glen Ellyn, IL

I love this town. However I have heard several people talk about the fact that a lot of people in Glen Ellyn are snobs. lol. People have different

Asked by capricorn 69, Glen Ellyn, IL Fri Feb 3, 2012

versions of the word "snob". I want to move there, but of there are a lot of snobish people living there, then I'm not sure I want to raise my kids there. Has anyone else experienced this?

Answers

4
Glen Ellyn is a wonderful community, yes, it is rich in tradition, in many ways "old school" which is refreshing if you are raising a family. It is expensive as Chicagoland suburbs go. But, it is a classic example of "It takes a village to raise a child". The community feel here is obvious. You will have so-called snobs in every town. Like anything you have to find the group you fit into and that's where you land. The schools are fabulous but many in DuPage county are. I work with a lot of relocation clients who say that it is hard to find a community where you feel safe enough for kids to walk to the pool or downtown at the age of 9 or 10 anymore with a true town center within walking distance along with neighborhood schools. Visit Glen Ellyn on the 4th of July and I'm sure you will see what I mean across the board.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
The way I describe this town is "Mayberry". I may be dating myself because, quite honestly, with all of the young families moving to town I am not quite sure if they are familiar with the reference. Glen Ellyn is a small town in DuPage County rich in history and tradition. I feel it is a nice socio-economic mix. We have a thriving downtown, College of DuPage, fabulous schools, park district, public library and the Metra train system that gets you to Chicago in 40 minutes!! There are "snobs" everywhere but you don't have hang with them! Let me be the first non-snob Glen Ellyn resident to welcome you to Glen Ellyn!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
I have never lived there but I do a lot of work in Glen Ellyn. Personally, I haven't experienced the "snobbish" issue. However..... Glen Ellyn is very well to do. That being said, I am sure you have a better chance of running into a "snob" in Glen Ellyn than you would in an average community. As with all things, I suggest you follow your gut feeling. Usually, it is correct.

Sean Cochran
Quality Mortgage Lending
630-470-6830 office
630-330-2229 cell
http://www.qmlending.com
FHA Loans down to a 580 Credit Score
No Money Down Purchase Programs
Unlimited Loan to Value Refinances of Fannie and Freddie Loans
90% Cash Out on Jumbo Loans
yes, there are snobs. glen ellyn is a really nice town with rich tradition and little to no crime, so people that live here tend to go a little over board and think they are all that and extra napkins. the thing you will learn about this town is that you are basically judged by what neigberhood you live in and what schools your kids attend.