In My Neighborhood in 11694>Question Details

Amer, Home Buyer in 11694

I looking to buy a condo at Rockaway Beach Blvd & Beach 102nd St Queens, NY 11694. How is the area? safe? and how the public schools ?

Asked by Amer, 11694 Thu Mar 18, 2010

I looking to buy a condo at Rockaway Beach Blvd & Beach 102nd St
Queens, NY 11694. How is the area? safe? and how the public schools ?

Answers

4
This is the kind of thing that is best for you to check out by yourself. You can google NYC school report and find out certain things about the schools. Check with the police station about the crime statistics. Drive around the area, especially over the weekend. You can walk around on the street and try to strike up a conversation with the other people.
Unfortunately realtors are not allowed to tell you that much about an area so that it shouldn't seem like they are steering you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 18, 2010
I bought a two family on Beach 101st in Feb 2008.

Anything to the right of the bridge at 96th is up and coming, anything to the left is a long shot.
High School is/was crappy (Beach Channel) due to < 96th students but they are restructuring it, and there are private school options. Much new development in Rockaway Park which is attracting a large range of working middle class people.

I think that Rockaway Park is a good 5-10 year investment. The subway line is there, the beach is there, and eventually people will want to stay in New York but also be near the beach. So I think that schools will matter less to people who want to retire in NYC with the ability to get around by subway, but be near a beach.

Lower than 96th has simply too many projects that are going nowhere. That Arverne by the Sea has units going begging on Craiglist for like 1700 to rent a two bedroom, 2000 for a three bedroom because people overpaid to be pioneers, and now need to cover their costs by gouging renters. But in Rockaway Park, you can probably pick up a decent size (2200 sq ft) newer two family for 508, which is what zillow says mine is worth, and the numbers work much nicer.

So basically I recommend Rockaway Park, if you do not need a great public HIgh School school right now.
Amer - I own a home at ABTS and would recommend you check the archives of the local paper (The Wave) and also check out the Sperling reports for the Zip and Schools. I have posted the links for your review.

http://p01.bestplaces.net/p/mlsli/school/ebsch1.asp?qryzip=11694

http://p01.bestplaces.net/p/mlsli-mem/nhood/?zip=11694

Please call or e-mail me with any other questions.
If you concerned about crime, your best source of information is the local police department, why not visit/call an ask all your questions, and if the opportunity arises chat with neighbors/locals and inquire. As for the schools, keep in mind opinions are subjective and what's good for one may not necessarily be the case for another--why not visit the school, ask for a tour of the facilities, speak to the principal, teachers, etc., and then make a determination, will your comfort level be reached.