In My Neighborhood in 75070>Question Details

Bomb1210, Home Buyer in McKinney, TX

I like the front half of the Avalon subdivision, but the back half is crowded-looking with all the front driveways and people parking in their

Asked by Bomb1210, McKinney, TX Tue Apr 5, 2011

driveways and on the streets. You can hardly drive through all the cars sometimes. Looks like their HOA doesn't do much to keep the streets clear and nice-looking. I am wondering if that would affect resale value. I would not want to buy a home in that neighborhood and then not be able to sell it ever if needed.

Answers

7
Most cities and HOAs do not have rules against residents parking their vehicles near the curbs as long as it doesn't hinder other vehicles from driving through. Additionally, no matter what neighborhood I show homes in, it seems there is always someone who parks near the curb; I guess it is becoming a norm.
Michael are you aware that this question was posted April of 2011!!
Flag Thu Jul 26, 2012
Thank you for all of the feedback!

We strongly prefer rear-entry driveways because the neighborhoods tend to look nicer. When you drive around front-driveway neighborhoods, it seems like most people have so much stuff that they can't even fit their cars in their garages and have to park in the driveways and streets. It gives the neighborhood a really crowded, messy look. I would think it would be hard to sell a home in a neighborhood that looks like that, but one of the posters said they didn't have any trouble moving homes in Avalon, so I guess it depends.

We are currently in El Dorado Heights. We have a back driveway but we always park in our garage anyway. I can see how it could affect you getting to know neighbors, but we didn't have that problem - we know all of our neighbors and we all keep an eye on each other's homes when someone is traveling, etc. In some cases, I guess it could make for a smaller backyard, but our backyard is huge. Almost no one on our street parks on the street - everyone parks in their rear driveways so our street stays clear.

Our child goes to McGowen Elem, which is in Avalon, and since we are looking for a new home, I have frequently seen the signs in there and wanted to check them out. But I can't get past how crowded and messy the back half of the subdivision is - it's hard to even drive through it. The front half looks good, although there are still too many people parking on the streets instead of their driveways.

Easy solution to the risk of your car getting broken into on a back driveway: park in your garage.
Understanding your concern, I did a google search: please read this on rear entry homes
in Mckinney 2nd paragraph 3rd sentence.
http://www3.mckinneytexas.org/www/uploadedFiles/Whats_New/Lo…
Although this alone should not sway you from the purchase that fits you.

Buyers like you are savvy and do think about resale which is financially smart. HOA's can be
a double edge sword. Most in Mckinney are quite reasonable in my opinion and offer quite a few amenities and services.

Let's go shopping together if you do not have a current Realtor to assist you. JC 214-799-9139
or jc.waller@cbdfw.com
That is always one of the objections I have personally to rear entry garages - in addition to making the back yards smaller, people tend to park on the street in front of their homes instead of the back and it does sometimes make it almost impossible to navigate the streets. That doesn't necessarily affect value but smaller lots certainly will. If it bothers you ask your agent to take rear entry garages off your list. Good luck.
That is a very good question. I lived in Avalon when the first section was being built and we sold a few years ago and have sold about 6 or 7 in there since and are actually closing one on Aylesbury next week and I have to tell you the prices have held their value the only thing that I have found is a hard sell is if the buyer is wanting more from their HOA, more events and areas such as Stonebridge Ranch Beach club and tennis courts. The Hoa is very good at keeping the front area clean with fresh plants and the pool and play area were always well maintained. The back area lots are smaller and the values are a little less if it does sit on a smaller lot. The roads are more narrow but I have not found the the complaints to be that unless they are looking on the weekends when most people are home and there are more cars on the streets. the Hoa is less of a fee but I never experianced any issues of them not taking care of the subdivision and neither have any of my sellers in the neighborhood.
Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Amanda Harden
RE/MAX Four Corners
Realtor/Owner
Bomb....it does affect resale in my opinion, but there is nothing an HOA can do in my opinion when people park in the streets. They are likely public streets.

Of course this can also change as the average age of the community goes up and also seems to go in cycles. As the little kids grow up and become teenagers they get cars and then have to park somewhere.

So a street with no cars today could have cars next year or in 3 years or in 5 years.

Neighborhoods with front entry drives seem to be friendlier as you tend to see more people easier, know when they are at home, see them come and go. They do tend to look more unkept sometimes, especially on trash day.

Home with drives in the back tend to look cleaner, but typically less friendly as people can come and go and you never know.

To see more homes in Avalon check out:
http://www.mlsfinder.com/tx_ntreis/robertbrucelynn/index.cfm…
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Your buyers agent needs to be addressing all of your concerns, without standing there with you point out all the particulars features and benefits on your behalf. difficult to render a vitrual opinion

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com