In My Neighborhood in 24551>Question Details

Ann, Other/Just Looking in 11795

I know the area is great for young families, but what about retired folks. Anything besides Golf?

Asked by Ann, 11795 Fri Aug 5, 2011

Answers

1
I think there's plenty to do for people of all ages.... as a retiree, a few things you might enjoy:

1. History - our area is rich in history, with Appomattox only 30 minutes to the east of Lynchburg, Bedford and the D Day Memorial only 30 minutes to the west, and Charlottesville (home of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello) only an hour to the north. Of course, there are plenty of other places of historical significance, but those are a few highlights.

2. Outdoors - We have an abundance of outdoor recreation areas, including the Blackwater Creek trail, which is an easy walking/biking trail that winds through the woods and eventually crosses the James River; The Peaks of Otter, which is more of a climb; for water enthusiasts, there's Smith Mountain Lake and Leesville Lake; Crabtree Falls is another wonderful hike along a gentle water fall; and our area has numerous well-kept and spacious parks - perfect for walks, picnics, etc.

3. Cultural events - With 4 area colleges, each with their own theatre and music programs, there's no shortage of performances, not to mention the Academy of Fine Arts, which offers a full slate of productions and events as well; The Sedalia Center, just north of Lynchburg, offers many great events, from Blues & BBQ to Wine Festivals and other themed events; both Lynchburg City and the Town of Bedford host events throughout the year geared towards bringing the community together.

4. Day Trips - Lynchburg is an hour from Roanoke and Charlottesville, each of which have their own sites and events; two hours will get you to Richmond; two and a half hours will get you to Greensboro/Raleigh/Durham area; three hours to Williamsburg and Charlotte, NC; and four hours to Virginia Beach and Washington DC.

That's just a brief overview of our area, and I hope one that helps to show the varied activities available... now I just wish I were retired so I could go out and enjoy some of these things myself!