In My Neighborhood in 53143>Question Details

Mom, Home Buyer in Kenosha, WI

I don't get the square footage listed. Adding the foyer, bathroom and a couple of generous closets this house CAN'T be more than 850 sq. ft. tops,

Asked by Mom, Kenosha, WI Sun Jan 1, 2012

probobly less. Where are you getting the 1,012sq. ft. as listed?

Answers

10
sometimes the agents simply take the square footage from tax records which are notorius for being inaccurate, other times they simply measure the outside deminsions which does not take into consideration the space needed for walls and such, if you would like to reply with the address i will look up the tax record for this home, thanks Bob Nowak, Broker for 1st National Real Estate.
Mom:

As I stated on my earlier post ... the square footage of 1012 SF was taken from the city and county assessor's office ... that is probably why it's listed in the MLS with that amount. Unless there was an error by the Assessor's office ... the best thing is to go to the property and check it out! Wishing you the best. Let me know if you would like a private showing. I'll be happy to help you.

Happy New Year!

Diana
I am not sure whether the property is a condo or a single fam. home, it seems to me it is a condo, and the
sq. footage may have been indicated at one point by the builder of the property and their measurements are
slightly different what you the buyer look at... they go usually from outside wall to outside wall, because that is
what they are actually building, if you understand how they and the architects look at it.... but as a buyer you
really look at the livable sq.ft. and that is very very different....

Realtors often do not put the sq.ft. because it is such a disputable item.... Sometimes for my buyers I measure
the rooms that they actually will use like fam. room, kitchen bedrooms living room and dining room sometimes large entry ways and hallways or landings.... but then there is always strange walls, non- descript closets, walk ins that are quite large and regular closets.... So from only these remarks you can tell
that there are differences.... And often if the floor plan is a very open one, i.e. kitchen open to the fam. room
etc. the entire unit may feel so much bigger, on the other hand if the current owners have large furniture it
may look with same sq.ft. very small, high ceilings, large windows all impact the feel of space.

Hope this helps you a little.
If all fails when you view homes with your Realtor, have him or her bring a measuring device to quickly
figure out the major rooms, although those should be correct on the listing sheets then she just needs to
add hall ways and baths

Take care....

Good Luck to you.... and a Happy 2012

Edith YourRealtor4Life! and Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients... Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike
Edith will go the Xtra Mile with a Smile for her clients.... always
http://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
Also, you might want to keep in mind that square footage is relative to the home. I work with buyers all the time and they are sometimes quite surprised when they get into the home. You can have two homes with the exact same square footage where one has more actual living space than another. It all depends on how the exterior is laid out.

You said in your other post that you calculated the square footage. I'm wondering what method you did that with.
Kenosha Buyer,
Please be aware the data regarding homes for sale observed on aggregate website may not be the same data enter by the agent into the local Multiple Listing Service.

Aggregate websites such as Trulia get the homes for sale data from other websites, not the agent. The data the real estate agent entered may be suppressed, changed, deleted or substituted with other information. Making important real estate decisions based on data found on these entertainment sites will prove to be a frustrating if not disappointing task.

For timely, accurate, decision worthy information you need access to the local Multiple Listing Service. Any Kenosha WI real estate professional will provide you access FREE of charge. The only cost to you is send an email or pick up the phone. The choice is always your.

Annette Lawrence
Broker/Associate
ReMax Realtec Group
727.420.4041
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Mom,

That is the tax record amount, 1012. The living room is 18 feet long, so it very well could be correct.
Are you interested in the property mentioned above?The 1,012 is either from tax records,or the seller has disclosed that to their agent.I will need a bit more information on the property to help you out.Happy New Year!
Web Reference: http://www.cbre1.com
Can you tell us which house it is that you are referring to?

On a side note, square footage is calculated differently in different municipalities. Some use the outside dimensions; some use the interior footprint; some measure the rooms and add them up and some subtract from the total square footage if the walls are slanted on the second floor. If you have a finished basement with egress windows, that is allowed to be included in square footage.

Without more information, I'm afraid we cannot answer your question.
Perhaps if you were a little more generous with your information,
we might know what you are talking about.
Good Morning - What is the address of the home that you are referring to? Mini Samuel