In My Neighborhood in King>Question Details

Dyanwilder, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

I am unfamiliar with this neighborhood and concerned about crime based on Portland maps--can anyone give me some inside info/input on this?

Asked by Dyanwilder, Portland, OR Wed Jun 15, 2011

Answers

5
Marie Souza Team’s answer
Hi there - I recommend calling the local police department, who can best help you with crime statistics in the area.
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 16, 2011
Hi Brook,

Please see this crime map for updated crime statistics on this neighborhood as well as others in Portland.

http://www.trulia.com/crime/Portland,OR/
King neighborhood is a becoming a closely knit and friendly community. I always felt safe in this area day and night. Every once in a while you will get a little bit of crime happening especially during the summer months. You actually can here gun shots in nearby areas, but never did I here any in King. If I ever get the opportunity to raise kids in my 8th Ave home I will jump on the chance.
Hi Dyan,

I think it's important not to overgeneralize based on crime statistics, whatever their source. Keep in mind that criminals today are very mobile... very few probably commit crimes in their own neighborhoods, where people might recognize them! Also, at least in Portland, the neighborhood can change within a few blocks quite easily!

That said, there are still bad pockets scattered about, and you don't want to be caught buying in one of those "war zones" we all hear about. I would recommend visiting the neighborhood you are considering several times during the day and night, and just be very observant. Sit in your car for awhile, and just watch/listen. Walk around, and strike up a conversation with any of the neighbors out walking their dogs or working in the yard. Ask them if they feel safe in the neighborhood, if they know of anyone who was robbed, had their car stolen, if there is a neighborhood watch, etc. Look for signs like grafitti, bars on the windows, run-down houses or overgrown lots, derelict cars, etc. Visit the local elementary school and take note about how many parents drive their kids to school vs walking them, etc. A sign of an "improving" neighborhood, by the way, is to see how many dumpsters there are out front... that means the house is in the process of being remodeled, usually!

In other words, look beyond the numbers. I've got a listing in a great neighborhood, highly regarded, very quiet and safe, but someone told me recently it has "high crime" statistics on Portland Maps. I'm sure that's because it is being lumped in with several nearby neighborhoods, but if you spoke with most of the immediate neighbors for blocks in every direction, you would get a very different picture...

Sharon
Which neighborhood are you looking at? Information can be gained by the local police, as well as checking sourses like the Oregonian newspaper as well as local realtors. Is there a particular house you are looking for or a particular neighborhood? I would love to help you if you want to give me a call or an email at ronfowler@cbseal.com. Good luck on your search, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Because of such entertainment establishments such as Albert & Mississippi Arts, Fremont Village, New Seasons, etc., things have changed from the old cliche' such neighborhoods are bad to live in. I was raised in live in the area over 40 years ago. Even then it was not deadly. Just take a visit from Interstate to NE 33rd between NE Dekum and Alberta, then tell me what you see.
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014