In My Neighborhood in 34744>Question Details

Con Connolly, Home Buyer in Kissimmee, FL

I am thinking of buying a home to use for vacations in this area. I am wondering if this is a safe place as i have two small children.

Asked by Con Connolly, Kissimmee, FL Sun Oct 17, 2010

Answers

8
Hello Con,

Yes, please do the research and see what the sheriff's office as well and the crime stats say....but seeing the area will give you an idea of where you want to vacation.
You can't characterize a whole zip code bya few bad neighborhoods.

What kind of vacation home are you looking into purchasing?
Single family, Townhome or Condo?
Are you coming to Florida soon?

If I can be of service, please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Fortier
Cinderella Realty
863-450-6449
I would only add that if you use the stats on here to make sure you verify whether this information is accurate. Trulia is a great source for an overview. It pulls information from everywhere and just like everything else it is only as good as the information that is put in. I am not sure any one site can capture it all.

Your best source for crime stats is the police or sherif'fs office. There are many ways to get history on communities find an agent who can assist you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 17, 2010
Safe is as safe does. No matter what community you choose to live in, general rules of thumb:

~ Make your home always appear occupied.
~ Adopt a dog or buy a bowl with the inscription, "Guido." Or, if these two options don't work for you, find a "killer" cat.
~ Consider a move into the country, or into a gated or highly secured community. There are many places like that in the south-west Kissimmee, Florida.

My area of specialty is Poinciana, which is in an unincorporated area of Osceola County. The best part of Poinciana is that it has TWO SHERIFFS DEPARTMENTS.

Don't believe me? Then please go to http://poincianahome.typepad.com/blog/about-poinciana.html to find out more about this very special community.
Hi Con,

Unless you plan on using the home only for your family and then locking it up when you are not there, 34744 is a not a good choice for a vacation home. The area is basically single family residential with few tourist amenities. Short term rental income when you are not there would be very hit or miss and would not cover the cost of a pool home.

If you are planning on locking it up when you are not there, then I'd suggest you take a look at Magic Landings. It's not a bad place for a lock up vacation home.

In terms of safety, well this is Trulia and they do have a box showing crime stats on every for sale ad here. All you need to do is scroll down the page.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
Con:

Lots of people use this forum to ask about crime and there is no one single answer. Crime stats by zip code do not seem to be published. Your best bet will be to call the Osceola County Sheriff Office and see if they have the information. The Florida Dept of Law Enforcement has some state wide data at:
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/FSAC/Menu/County-Profiles.aspx

There are many nicely kept communities in 34744. Are you going to keep the home closed when not on vacation, or planning to rent it short-term when you are not using it? Most short-term locations are west of Kissimmee, due to tourist volume. Something to keep in mind. Read my blog under my profile to learn about some of the resort communities in town.

Here is a link to my website, where you can view all available homes in the county including foreclosures:

http://www.SearchKissimmeeHomes.com

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty of Kissimmee
407-791-9086
I would look at 34747 Celebration, Reunion and the west end of 192. for a vacation home
I have been helping filks buy in thoses areas for the last 12 years. I own in those areas too. If you need a broker who absolutey knows that 34747 area then please call or e mail

407 832 4888
alan@frontlinefloridarealty.com
Great question. As Bryant mentione you can check on line about crime statistics in the area. This is a good time to invest as you will be able to find a good property for a good price.
Hi Con. Do a Google search for crime stats in 34744. That's the best way to get a correct answer. There are a lot of holiday homes in that zip code so it is a good place to purchase for what you are looking for. We have a special website site up for folks looking to buy vacation homes at http://CFLInvestmentHomes.com Go check it out.

We'd be happy to assist if you need some help.