Barousse, Renter in Asheville, NC

I am relocating to the asheville area. We are young and are looking for an area to feel comfortable. 20 something professionals. Suggestions on area?

Asked by Barousse, Asheville, NC Tue Jan 10, 2012

We are in serious need of a hip culture again... stuck in jobs that have left us in retirement communities in florida. I would say that we don't want to be put right next to colleges or lower areas either as we are to settle down soon.

Would appreciate ANY feedback!

Answers

12
Still looking? Check out 28 Grandview Drive, Asheville. This house is in West Asheville and perfect for young professionals. Minutes to downtown with views for days. Low maintenance and great for entertaining. Summer nights on that backporch would be amazing!
What is more hip than historic Montford. You will find yourself only minutes to downtown and the area itself boast s some local theater in the Montford Park Players. Its just a short walk and you'll find yourself on Haywood St. w/ lots of small taverns, Malaprops bookstore, or the Grove Arcade. Talk about your 20 somethings. Lots of local fare, music, dining, and entertainment. If I had to make a suggestion this would be it. You'll be living in that turn of the century charm, in a great neighborhood. Just Google the area, or better yet visit my website for a detailed analysis using the market insider report. Here is a quick link to help you out http://www.justlistedashevillenc.com/mimarket/zip/28804/ let me know if I can help
You have received a lot of responses with some great advice. Since you are renting here you have the opportunity to browse the neighborhoods. You could walk various areas and talk to the "natives". Most people are happy to talk about where they live and why they live there.

Unfortunately the "hip" areas are popular which also drives the price of housing up. I do recommend that you talk to a good mortgage person who would be able to help you figure out how much home you can afford. If you are a first time home buyer, you may be eligible for mortgages, down payment assistance, and tax credits through the NC Housing Finance Agency. Be sure that your mortgage person is knowledgeable on the various programs. I will be happy to provide the names of several good folks in the mortgage business if you contact me. If possible, I recommend talking to more than one person as the all have different programs.

That said, there are websites that will give you information on some of the neighborhoods including demographics. Some of these are on my website, http://www.liveinashevillehome.com. Another source of information is the Asheville Citizen-Times who does monthly articles on the various neighborhoods and posts them on their website under "Mountain Lifestyles".

West Asheville has a wide variety of housing options and is also a focus of "green" home builders who are attempting to build homes in "affordable" price range. Most of my clients in your age group prefer Montford, West Asheville, and North Asheville if they can find a home they like and can afford.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Debbie

Deborah H. Francis, GRI, ABR, ePRO, GREEN, SFR, Fine Homes Specialist, CRS Candidate
Prudential Lifestyle Realty
7 Orchard St., Ste 101
Asheville, NC 28801
cell: 828-553-9019; mailto:deborah@dhfrancis.com
website: http://www.liveinashevillehome.com/
"Your move is my mission"
Many people in their 20s like to be within walking distance to downtown with all of the activities and restaurants. West Asheville is another up and coming place for people in their 20s. Biltmore Park has all sorts of restaurants and shopping. Look in these areas and see what feels the most comfortable, or the area that you seem to keep coming back to. Good luck on your quest and call me if I can be of assistance.

Cheryl MacPhail
Beverly-Hanks & Associates
828-337-2139
WELL! You have come to the "right" place. My suggestion is that you take time to "feel" the various neighborhoods around Asheville. Take your camera along as you investigate small, (organic?) farms. Check out all the local tailgate markets from Asheville, UNCA, and Black Mountain to Marshall and Mars Hill... This way, you can get a sense of local communities and what they offer you.

You may find a cabin high on a slope. You may find a small HealthyBuilt® Home within walking distance of a local bakery. (if so, be sure to get a copy of the Green Building Directory! Or you may decide to buy LAND. For sure, Asheville speaks to the creative mind.... and if you tell me what is important to you, I may be able to point you in the “right” direction =) (happy to do so...)

All the Best,
janeAnne
As you can tell from the wide variety of answers... you will most likley "fit in" in just about any section of Asheville. The best way to decide is to spend time in each area, visit the coffee shops, grocery stores, walk the shopping areas (we have several walk-able towns in the area)... talk to people. Chances are the right place will "find" you! Enjoy...and if you need any help, visit our website...it gives you a birdseye view of each part of town.
If you want hip and happening, I would suggest starting in the Montford neighborhood. Close enough to walk downtown, but away enough for some peace and quiet when you want it. Nice parks and great place for starting and raising a family.

Click the link to my site for listings in Montford

http://AVLHome.com/Default.aspx?Subdivision=Montford

Or feel free to call me at 828-667-4808
You might also consider the North Buncombe/Weaverville area. It's has a small downtown but is a thriving community with easy access to shopping, schools and restaurants both in Weaverville and Asheville. There are newer subdivisions and more established areas so lots of variety available! This link will give you a lot more information.
Web Reference: http://www.weaverville.com/
I would also consider Biltmore Park. Although not as "hip" and perhaps bohemian as West Asheville, Biltmore Park has a town center with great restaurants, cool shops, and a Barnes and Noble. If settling down includes starting a family, Biltmore Park would be the place to. Sally
Web Reference: http://cricket-realty.com
I am a real estate agent in Asheville and am more than happy to answer any questions you may have and to help you in your search for a home.
Many young people in Asheville like to be near downtown. Many will buy condo's or live in a tight subdivision with houses close together to create a tight social community. Others choose to live close to the asheville mall or in west Asheville just moments from downtown.

I would love to help you explore all possibilities and find your new home. I am with Coldwell Banker in downtown Asheville. Call me anytime at 828-398-5730
I would say that the West Asheville Area would have a lot of young couples that have settled their. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods that are very convenient to Asheville. Also, Candler has some nice neighborhoods as well. I consistently work with young couples to put them in a home. I look forward to helping answer any questions you may have about the area.
I would say that you would love West Asheville! There are some great neighborhoods to live in that are close to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. Check out the link below which will detail a little more about the area.