In My Neighborhood in Darien>Question Details

Nashah, Home Buyer in 06820

I am planning to install a new roof for my single family home in Darien. Should I have to take a city permission to do that?

Asked by Nashah, 06820 Mon Apr 30, 2012

Answers

3
I bet you will need a permit and a licensed contractor is required by the city of Darian. They charge for everything, check at the town office.
Hi Nashah -
Roofing is a tricky thing, as the quality & knowledge of a roofer can vary greatly - how many roofs are already installed, does the old roof need to come off, what is the sub-roof condition, what is the flashing around chimneys, dormers, gables, etc. How a new roof can provide value to a home is also dependent on the quality of the roofer, their warranty and documentation - including permits. In general, the roofing trade has been reduced to small margins that are mostly made by minimizing the labor portion of the trade - materials are a fixed commodity. There are a 100 roofer's in the area - most aren't what they say they are. As a real estate professional in Darien, many clients have required various trades to repair or upgrade their newly acquired homes. I would be happy to provide a few references that may help your situation. No obligation, just let me know.

Stephan von Jena
William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty
1057 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820
203-434-8472
svonjena@wpsir.com
Find a licensed contractor to do the job--that's the best way, anyway--and leave the question of whether permits are necessary to the contractor. (My gut reaction is "no," but that can vary depending on jurisdiction. If you absolutely must know, check with your local government.)
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA