In My Neighborhood in 37830>Question Details

Movingon, Home Seller in Oak Ridge, TN

I am interested in moving to Oak Ridge and am looking around the Cedar Hill Park area (likely on Outer Drive between New York Avenue and Georgia

Asked by Movingon, Oak Ridge, TN Mon May 3, 2010

Avenue). Can anyone tell me what the crime is like, are the property values maintaining, what is it like in this area for children? Ultimately, is it safe and is there a good community/neighborhood feeling there?

I know that not all properties are kept up as well, but in general what does the trend look like for that part of Oak Ridge?

Answers

6
If you are concerned about crime, your best source of information is the local police department, why not visit/call and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand--they'll gladly help. See link for additional information.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Ridge-Tennessee.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 3, 2010
We just listed our home on Outer Drive. We loved the neighborhood and only moved because of a job relocation. Our area used to be mostly retirees, but more younger couples have moved in now and there are a lot of children. We loved the fact that we were within walking distance of the park and in the middle of town. We weren't ever aware of any crime issues. We, definitely, felt a sense of community. There are some properties that aren't in the best condition, but the houses are selling quickly when listed and the new owners are remodeling. Property values have held well and increased with the recent remodels. Here's the link if you'd like to take a look.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3129652059-179-Outer-Dr-Oak-R…

Good luck!!
I recently looked into a house on Kingsley (across from Cedar Hill park) and found that there lives a registered sex offender. But overall, that area around Cedar Hill is nice, especially down Michigan ave. I would worry about children getting into the street on outer drive but there is always activity in the park and an excellent place for children to run off energy.
156 Outer Drive is a large clean updated home and it is for sale. It is right across the street from Cedar Hill Park. You may want to take a look at that one if you are interested in the Cedar Hill Area
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
I would like to help you in answering your questions. I am raising my five children in Karns TN not far from Oak Ridge TN suburbs of Knoxville TN . You would be moving into a nice area. I would like to run some comps for you about the exact area of your concern. I can send you several listing's from the MLS for that area. If you are interested feel free to call (865)455-6168 Cell (865)531-2121 Office Century 21 Select Properties Knoxville TN. Ask for Tammy.
This area of Outer Dr is fairly stable and consists of a mix of older, established residents and young families. As you know, it's also near the best park in the city, which makes it nice for the kids. The big disadvantage to this area is that Outer Dr is a busy street and few drivers do the 25 mph speed limit. Backing out of a driveway may be a bit of a challenge. I'm a home inspector, but also a firefighter/EMT in Oak Ridge, and we don't have a heavy call volume in that area (good news). Hope this helps.

Dan Endsley
The House Scout