In My Neighborhood in 21663>Question Details

werdnayenwod, Home Buyer in West Chester, PA

I am considering relocating to Saint Michaels and I was wondering what the town is like during the offseason?

Asked by werdnayenwod, West Chester, PA Wed Apr 25, 2012

I understand that there will be fewer people around, but do all of the restaurants shut down as well?

Answers

9
The town is very quiet from January to April. Many shops and restaurants are open only on the weekends and, although there are some activities, things are very slow.

If you are used to more activity, you can always travel the short distance from here to Easton, where activities are more numerous and varied. If you scoff at lectures at the library, Fire Dept. dinners and bingo, senior and childrens activities, this is not the place for you.

However, if you are interested in becoming a part of a small community comprised of some of the nicest people you've ever met, this might just be what you're looking for.

Many experts suggest you rent for a year or two before buying in any new location. Experience has shown us that is a very good idea.
Well, actually we have a little bit of everything here in St. Michaels. A few restaurants will shut down for 4-6 weeks, since this is will be their only time off. Other restaurants will be open on a Thursday thru Sunday schedule and of course we have local restuatants that stay open all year. Little St. Michaels is lucky to have the selection we have and we are consistently a know to have some of the best restaurant in the county. To learn more about the area, please visit my website - http://www.stmichaels.com
Hi
We have approximately 20 restaurants in the vicinity of St. Michaels, from Sam's Pizza to Harborlights, which is located at the Harbor Inn. Even in the off season, you will find plenty of places to dine. Easton is only 9 miles away with many fine restaurants. It does get a bit quieter in January, February, but in March (depending on weather) we will start to get an influx of visitors. St. Michaels is a vibrant community all year round and you will love it both on and off season. I hope this answers your question.
Marie
Hi and thanks for your inquiry. St. Michaels is truly a special town offering a small town atmosphere with city retailers and high end shops. Although St. Michaels receives more visitors during the spring and summer months the fall and winter months are equally as enjoyable as almost all of the retail shops and high end restaurants remain open for locals and the weekend visitors. St. Michaels is most definitely the most friendly town I have ever lived in with people knowing your name at the post office, grocery and the shops and restuarants you may frequent. It is a different lifestyle here with the relaxing water surrounding you, local crafts and artists exhibits on a regular basis, and just a down home atmosphere that I love. When planning your trip please try to stay for several days as there is lots to see and do; the topography which is mostly flat make it a terrific place to walk, run, and bike; there are several nature trails designed just for this, which I personally prefer over the road side. I am not sure what type of life style you are seeking but must say of all the places I have ever lived, (7) this is by far my favorite! Hope to see you in St. Michaels soon and thanks again for looking into us! Hope you have a great week.
Oh please do come! It's a lovely town whether it's summer, winter, spring or fall. There's always something going on in town: Fall into St. Michaels, The Wine Fest, Christmas in St. Michaels, FREE concerts in the park (summer), programs, etc. at the museum -- lots to do. It's a little quieter with less traffic, certainly, but still plenty active. Although some of the restaurants in-town close usually January to February (sometimes even part of March), there are still restaurants nearby that stay open year 'round. And it's not unheard of for a restaurant to open on a really nice weekend weather-wise. Easton is just about 10 minutes away with a movie theater, lots of shops, art galleries, big-name retailers (Target, JC Penney, Lowe's, etc.), plenty of restaurants to choose from and more. Annapolis is about 45 minutes away if you want to have a "city" day. You surely won't have time to be disappointed!

Please feel free to email me direct as I'd be happy to help you in your relocating process.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I probably won't be looking to buy until some time next spring. I'll probably come for a long weekend next winter to see what it's like for myself.
You are welcome, best time to look around in winter, if you like it then you will love it in all other seasons.
I have several clients from West Chester.... keep my info would love to help!
Flag Wed Apr 25, 2012
There is never a bad time to be in St Michaels. In the off-season we all enjoy special offers in restaurants and spas ,and going to a restaurant feels like coming home with mostly friends and neighbors present.
If you should get bored in town , Easton is just a 15 minutes drive away."The 8th Best Small Town in America" is an arts and cultural center with a population of15,000 and offers everything you will need for everyday living.
Let me know if I can help you finding your "lifestyle vision" , I found mine when I moved here in 1989 from Germany by choice !
Actually there is probably more to do in the off-season. Some restaurants close January-February however depending on your interests there are many clubs around including the Miles River Yacht Club. Even if you are not a boater you can enjoy the restaurant and lots of social events. The CBMM (Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum ) holds classes/events throughout the year.
I can send you a link to my website if you wish to see the varied events during the off-season.
Not as lively as in the summer, but there are quite a few restaurants that stay open year around. Stores as well. Let me know if I can help you find a house. Would be happy to.