Dina, Both Buyer and Seller in Cranford, NJ

I am considering buying a house on Garden Street in Cranford, NJ. Is this street in the flood zone section of town?

Asked by Dina, Cranford, NJ Wed Jan 12, 2011

click the sandy link - you can enter the address and it will give you the NEW UPDATED 2013 Flood Map Zones!

Flood Insurance for current home owners is going up slowly for the next 5 years. If you buy a new home you will get the proposed prices automatically- current flood insurance owners are getting it gradually.

The flood maps have not turned out to be as bad as everyone was expecting. They did not expand them as much as they first had intended. This flood map was in the works for 5 years, so it actually had nothing to do with the 2 storms. The flood map reconfiguration took years of research prior to sandy and irene.

Flood insurance is an extra expense.... but it seems like the government is keeping it under control.

Remember their are many grants out there to lift your home above flood levels ICC Grant give you $30k

If we ever get another storm, im sure the state will be better prepared for assistance with building and grant information.
Garden Street was not considered a flood zone when I lived there.
It's amazing how so much devastation my hometown faced after hurricane Irene. My parents have lived in Cranford over 30 years and were lucky enough to be in an area that didn't become part of a flood zone. There are updated flood maps on the Cranford website.
Flag Wed May 28, 2014
Hello! Did you ever purchase this home on Garden Street? If not, call me. I can help you find a property in Cranford and will make sure you know if it is in a flood zone before you put an offer on the house. I will check the flood zones for you - it's part of my job as your realtor.
You should definetly consult either the town and /or an insurance company. When it comes to questions like this never accept someones word. Find out from a reliable source. It won't take long to get the answer and you will be able to rest easy and move forward.
These types of questions we recommend for all buyers confer with the city you are the experts in these types of questions.

If in a flood zone could require additional insurance.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
There are different classifications of Flood Zones based on potential to flood. Each classification has a different flood insurance requirement and cost. The best answer to your question is to contact an insurance company that handles flood insurance. Call Greg Yost at The Chandler Group in Fairfield, New Jersey, Phone: 973-227-0025. He can tell you if it is in a flood zone and if it is, what the insurance cost and implications are.
Dina try this link for a quick idea of whether or not this home is in a flood zone.

Best way to find out for sure is to check a FEMA flood zone map - if you are working with an agent, they can check their office flood maps and easily verify for you if the home is located in a flood zone.
I recently had our title insurance company officially look it up and provide proof a home (fortunately) was not in a flood zone.

For more information on this subject - go to the FEMA flood zone site - I provided the link below...... it will also explain the different levels of flood zone designations.

. http://www.msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FemaWelcom…

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Hi Diana,
You would just have to call town hall and ask them 75 percent of cranford is a flood zone and its odd because one street maybe in a flood zone and the next street over or four house down is not. The best advice I can give you is to call town hall youself and ask do not take anyone else word on it cause if winds up being you will have to pay flood insuance and if your not looking for a flood area of Cranford I would hate to see you listen to someone who doesn't know. Also, they are always changing the flood zones anyway socmake sure and good luck if I can help you in any other way please feel free to call.