In My Neighborhood in 77469>Question Details

Dorothy Slet…, Renter in Richmond, TX

I am a school teacher and looking for an apartment. However, almost two years another apartment complex continued to debit my account after I moved.

Asked by Dorothy Sletten, Richmond, TX Thu May 2, 2013

I was charged at my new place and my previous apartment, I was no longer leasing. I have never been late on my rent and I have only lived in apartments. I am now having difficulty finding an apartment that will accept me. They put me in rental collections because I refused to pay for their mistake.

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to first determine if the owner and management company of the apartment complex are by chance licensed within the state. If so report them to TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission). TREC is required to investigate any and all complaints made about a licensed member. Second, write a letter to the collections demanding payment, halt of any futher debits, and contacting the credit agencies. Have it delivered with a signature. You can also threaten a law suite. A small claims is very cheap although depending on how much you are owed you may not receive all of the amount. Lastly, contact an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 2, 2013
Just another reason I don't like automatic online billing. When you have to write checks you know where the money is going. You should check your bank statements every month to prevent this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 2, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer